Ahh, Thanksgiving is quickly upon us which means Christmas and Hanukkah are a hop, skip and jump away also. With the holidays comes food… Glorious, wonderful, scrumptious, decadent food!! Now, the best thing about these holidays is gathering with your family and friends. We get to spend time, catch up, make memories, celebrate our various faiths… but in my opinion, the next best thing is the food.
This is my favorite time of year for many reasons. I love when the leaves change colors, the air becomes crisp with the brisk bite of Autumn and then there are the flavors… the incredible fall flavors. As soon as I start seeing a plethora of pumpkin products I am in heaven. This is also my favorite time for baking and making seasonal foods. So with Thanksgiving just a little over a week away I decided to give one of my sides a “trial run.” My husband and Maddy love sweet potatoes (HB won’t eat them any way I make them unless it’s a requirement to get up from the dinner table) but Mike’s not crazy about marshmallows on top or anything too (as he says) “funky.” (I had visions of a Gruyere topped sweet potato gratin or sweet potatoes with pecans and goat cheese… alas, nothing so adventurous will cross those lips)
So I set out to make a simple sweet potato side that will please the non-adventurous eaters in my family and even be appreciated by the more adventurous ones. This recipe is wonderful in its simplicity with clean flavors. I don’t care for sweet potatoes at all (despite being a prominent flavor of the holidays) however, I absolutely devoured my helping of this side. So I think you’ll agree that everyone at your table this Thanksgiving will enjoy every last bite of these sweet potatoes and apples.
Layers of sweet potatoes and tender apples sprinkled with cinnamon and brown sugar.
- 6 sweet potatoes
- 6 apples, peeled, cored and sliced apples
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, cut into small cubes
- 6 sweet potatoes
- 2 cups of peeled, cored and sliced apples
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 c. butter
- *In a large pot of water, boil the sweet potatoes until tender. Once done, remove them from the water and allow them to cool completely. Peel them and cut them into 1/4 inch slices.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Arrange half the sweet potatoes in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Layer half of the apples over the sweet potatoes.
- In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Sprinkle half of the mixture over the apple layer. Dot with half the butter.
- Repeat layers of sweet potato and apple, and top with remaining brown sugar mixture then dot with remaining butter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 50 minutes, until the apples are tender and the top is golden brown.