One of the best things about living in New Jersey is that we have some amazing tomatoes in the summer. Most of our produce is pretty amazing. They don’t call us The Garden State for nothing, ya know. Although I know we have many other nicknames, but back to the tomatoes. I love making a variety of dishes using our bounty of them. I make fresh pasta sauce, salads and even tomato pie. That tomato pie is amazing! It tastes like eating bruschetta but in pie form. Crazy good! But my favorite thing to make is salsa.
I’m a big time evening snacker. Some nights my sweet tooth flips into high gear and ice cream is the only thing that can calm it. Other times, I need something salty. In that case I need chips and salsa. I’m not even kidding. I definitely snack on tortilla chips with salsa once or twice a week. This Charred Corn Salsa is a new love for me though. Sure, I always add tomatoes, peppers and onions but the other night as I was snacking, it hit me. Roasted corn that’s got a nice smoky char to it would be amazing in salsa! Oh boy, was I right.
This salsa has a medium heat to it but feel free to take it up a notch or bring it down to a mild warmth. Fresh tomatoes meld with red onion, lime juice and cilantro for a fresh, flavorful salsa that goes perfectly with tortilla chips. Usually I go for the plain tortilla chips for my evening snacking or summer entertaining but I was recently sent some Green Giant Veggie Snack Chips and I’m hooked! I got to sample their Green Giant Multi-Grain Sweet Potato Chips that are barbecue flavor. The girls and I love having these chips with a sandwich at lunch. The crisp, smoky barbecue flavor is addictive and I liked the slight sweetness from the sweet potatoes, something a little different from the average chip.
I also got to sample the Green Giant Roasted Veggie Tortilla Chips in their Garden Ranch Flavor. These really pack a flavor punch! These chips are made with real vegetables, have 17 grams of whole grain per serving and are naturally flavored. The best part, it contains 0 grams of trans fat and 30% less fat compared to regular chips! Now, these little chips certainly aren’t a replacement for real veggies but I feel pretty good snacking on them compared to my ordinary plain ol’ tortilla chips. And these taste better! They were the perfect carrier for this Charred Corn Salsa. My girls love eating them straight up. I liked that there were vegetables hidden in there. Win/Win.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
One Year Ago: Cherry Cream Cheese Braid
Smoky charred corn and fresh ripe tomatoes combine with peppers, garlic, onions and more to create a vibrant, easy to make fresh salsa.
- 2 ears of fresh corn
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped plum tomatoes
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Green Giant Roasted Veggie Tortilla Chips, for serving
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Rub corn ears with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Roast the corn in preheated oven until lightly browned outside and tender, turning occasionally to brown on all sides.. Remove from oven and cool. Once cool enough to handle, cut the kernels from the cobs and cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, jalapeño, garlic, red onion, cilantro, cumin, salt, lime juice, cider vinegar, cooled charred corn and remaining olive oil. Set aside at room temperature for 1 hour to allow flavors to marry.
- Serve with Green Giant Roasted Veggie Tortilla Chips. Store any leftovers refrigerated.