I am SO ready for winter to be over!!! I may have mentioned this recently. Seriously. I’m done. Tuesday the temperature was in the 50′s and the sun was brightly shining. We were walking through the neighborhood, going to the park with the girls and Murphy. Yesterday? 30′s-40′s. Cold, rain, snow. A wintry mess! I’m in serious need of warmth and sun.
I’m clearly not getting that so the best I can do is bake bright, cheerful, warm weather foods and hope spring gets the hint and starts making its way here. This cake definitely fits that bill. Bright and fragrant lime with a ton of tropical coconut just exudes “remote sandy beach with a pina colada in hand” vibes. As I ate this cake, for those brief moments I was not in the middle of blustery March with its bipolar weather patterns. I was on an endless sandy beach without a care in the world. Ok, maybe not but a girl can dream.
This month for BundtaMonth we were given a tropical theme. I was thrilled because truly, I was all about making a cake that inspired thoughts of warmer climates. All the other ladies came up with some pretty incredible creations as well so go have a gander of the tropical treats that await you then grease up your bundt pan and bake a tropical cake all your own. We’d love to see it!
Chocolate Coconut Bundt Cake by Kim from Cravings Of A Lunatic
Here’s how you can be a part of Bundt-a-Month:
- Simple rule: Use any tropical fruit – and bake us a Bundt for March
- Post it before March 31, 2013.
- Use the #BundtAMonth hashtag in your title. (For ex: title should read #BundtAMonth: Chocolate Cinnamon Bundt)
- Add your entry to the Linky tool below
- Link back to Lora and Anuradha’s announcement posts.
PS… Look who got another new bundt pan?? Love the beauty this pan creates almost as must as the swirly one!
A moist, tropical coconut lime bundt cake with lime frosting.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- zest of 3 medium limes
- 1 cup unsalted butter , softened
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- zest of 1 lime
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 10-inch bundt pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse the granulated sugar and lime zest until fragrant and pale green.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment cream together the butter and sugar mixture until light and fluffy.
- Add the lime juice and vanilla. Mix until incorporated.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Add the sour cream, mix until incorporated.
- Add the flour mixture and beat until well mixed then fold in the coconut.
- Spread the batter into your prepared bundt pan and bake in a preheated oven for 1 hour or until a tester inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan 15 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients well. Drizzle over the cake.