A Food Fanatic & Fantans – Two Ways

by Kate on January 30, 2013

Post image for A Food Fanatic & Fantans – Two Ways

I’ve mentioned on a few different occasions here recently that I’m blatantly ignoring of the fact that I’m supposed to be slowing down. On top of whatever baking projects I choose to make for myself, just because I want to, I also am an active participant in several cooking/baking groups. I am proud to be a part of BakeTogether, The Secret Recipe Club, The Daring Bakers, Twelve Loaves, First on the First, BundtaMonth, Improv Challenge, Monthly Miettes, AND Muffin Monday! Phew! Now do you see why I keep talking about taking a step back? The problem is that I truly love all these groups I’m a part of. Each one provides me a unique challenge or chance to be creative.

Not only that but I love the people I work with in each of these groups. The food community is such a wonderful thing to be a part of. We’re inspired by others work and support one another. How could I not want to totally immerse myself in every aspect of such an amazing community? Even if I sometimes think I’ve taken on too much, I just can’t bear to part with any of these people. So I’m officially done talking about slowing down and I’ve decided I’m embracing chaos!

Peach Lavender Fantans 1 - FoodBabbles.com #bread @KDBabbles

Truth be told, I’m taking on two new projects! Both stem from my love of baking bread. The first is that I’ve decided to bake along with the Bread Baking Babes as a Bread Baking Babes Buddy. Each month one of the babes will post a recipe for us to follow or adapt. This month’s inspiration came from the kitchen of Elle at Feeding My Enthusiasms. She challenged us to try our hand at a shaping technique that I’d never done before by making Fantans.

BBBuddies_Jan_2013

These little sweet breads are made by stacking layers of dough and fanning them out so that when they bake up well, they look all “fanned out.” For my version I chose to do two different versions, both sweet but that’s not to say that a savory version wouldn’t be AH-MAZING! That’s next on my list, because these are so good I know I’ll be making them time and time again. The first batch was Cinnamon Sugar Fantans while the others are Peach Lavender Fantans. I have a love affair with Sunchowder’s Emporia and Wendy’s Peach Lavender Jam makes each thing I add it to something special, something to be savored. This bread is no exception. The cinnamon sugar ones were devoured even faster than the peach lavender though. These were like layered cinnamon rolls and tasted best still warm out of the oven. (As if I could have waited for them to cool off to try them!)

Cinnamon Sugar Fantans 1 - FoodBabbles.com #bread @KDBabbles

So right about now, I know you’re saying “I need to make these!” Yes, you do. Which brings me to my next announcement and this is a BIG ONE! I’m so happy to announce the launch of Food Fanatic , a new food and recipe site where yours truly has been invited to write as a contributor. I must admit I’m a little starstruck. This fine group consists of people who I’ve followed over the years and have been in awe of. I feel so proud to be a part of this amazing project and grouped with these amazing cooks, bakers, writers and photographers. Food Fanatic has so many talented contributors ready to share with you their stories, expertise, and of course, there will be food!

Each contributor will have their own little corner of Food Fanatic, their niche. I’m sure we’ll all blend and cross over a bit from time to time, but for my little piece of the fanatical experience I’ll be focusing my talents on bread baking. Which means twice a month I’ll be sharing yeasty goodness, delightful quick breads and all sorts of bread creations. So to kick off this party, today I share with you Fan Tan Rolls. Come say hello to all these creative, gifted writers and cooks and read more about these Fan Tan Rolls Recipe now!

One Year Ago: Orange Pound Cake Muffins

Two Years Ago: Spiced Candied Walnuts

Deanna Segrave-Daly (@tspbasil) January 30, 2013 at 9:20 am

Congrats on your new gig with Food Fanatic (and for embracing the chaos.) OK, these fantans are so so so beautiful. I totally want to tackle these!

Kate February 3, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Thanks Deanna! I’m definitely excited and it’s going to be such an amazing collaboration. You have to see all the talent over there!! And you should totally make fantans. Time consuming but mostly hands off time and very well worth the wait.

Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies January 30, 2013 at 9:32 am

Such a great post, Kate. I’m so glad you’re onboard at Food Fanatic. I couldn’t trust a better baker!

Kate February 3, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Thank you Amber! I really appreciate you making me a part of Food Fanatic. I am so thrilled!

Jennie @themessybakerblog January 30, 2013 at 10:24 am

That’s what I do, embrace the chaos. What else can you do when you enjoy what you do? These are stunning and sound delish!

Kate February 3, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Thank you Jennie! Yep, just gotta have to go with the flow and make it work.

kelly @ kellybakes January 30, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Ahhh! What wonderful news, Kate! I’ll head over and check out the site :] Isn’t it funny that when you have a ton on your plate, and you tell yourself that you need to slow down and take on one less thing, you somehow seem to add 3 more? I quit my second job and decided not to take classes this term in order to take it easy, but I feel like it just made room for a million other projects! I’m not terribly bread savvy, so I can’t wait to see what you share with us over on Food Fanatic! These fantans look fantan-stic :) (sorry, I’m a sucker for wordplay!)

Kate February 3, 2013 at 8:46 pm

Ha! “Fantan-stic” :) Love it!! Thanks Kelly! Hope you like what you find over on Food Fanatic. There are so many talented people contributing to this project and it’s going to be incredible. It’s well worth putting more on my plate.

ChristineM January 30, 2013 at 1:16 pm

that is awesome Kate! and love these fantans!

Kate February 3, 2013 at 8:46 pm

Thank you Christine!

suzanne January 30, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Wow, congrats on both. The fantans look great, my you are busy aren’t you?? I am so happy for your new gig with food fanatic, you are terrific, a great cook and writer, well deserved.

Kate February 3, 2013 at 8:46 pm

I definitely AM busy Suzanne!! Crazy busy :) Thanks for the congrats!

Yvonne @ bitter baker January 30, 2013 at 10:40 pm

That is so awesome, congratulations! And the fantans look BEAUTIFUL!!

Kate February 3, 2013 at 8:47 pm

Thank you Yvonne! I appreciate it and I’m so happy to hear you like these fantans. One of my favorite breads to date for sure!

Wendy Read January 31, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Congrats Katie!!! Kudos, you work so hard, I am so pleased for you :) Thank you so much for the lovely mention of my jam too my friend! The fantans look really delightful too, of course.

Kate February 3, 2013 at 8:55 pm

You’re very welcome Wendy ;) You know how much I love your products! In fact, it’s about time for me to place an order!!**Note to self And I’m happy that you like the fantans as well. Thank you!

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen February 1, 2013 at 11:56 am

I´ve only made savory, plain fantans, and they are so wonderful. I must try this sweet version! About groups, they are the best thing about food blogging because of the friends you make. I had to make a selection and am sticking to five, otherwise I don´t have enough time to make up decent posts!

Kate February 3, 2013 at 8:56 pm

I agree Paula. As much as I love all my groups I know at some point I’m going to have to let some of them go because I’m not able to just bake as much for myself. I’m always baking to a theme of some sort.

Elizabeth February 3, 2013 at 6:37 pm

How wonderfully your fantans have pinwheeled! I’m so glad you’re embracing chaos so that we get to see your lovely rolls. Peach lavender jam sounds especially good.

Kate February 3, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Thank you Elizabeth!

MyKitchenInHalfCups February 3, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Beautiful fantans and lovely fillings!
Thanks for baking with us.

Kate February 3, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Thank you! I loved this project and am so happy to have baked along with you Babes ;)