Normally, my breakfast looks something like this… A fritatta with feta, spinach and mushrooms or scrambled eggs with goat cheese, spinach and red peppers, oatmeal or on those rare days when I don’t have time to cook, then I go with a bowl of Kashi GoLean Crunch. (Side note: LOVE that cereal! Even Mike likes it and lord forbid health food cross his lips) But hands down, pancakes have to be my very favorite breakfast food. They aren’t an everyday kind of breakfast but on a special morning, there are sure to be pancakes.
One special morning recently I decided to add a “secret ingredient” to our pancakes. I added some shredded zucchini to our chocolate chip pancakes. Instantly it became like eating zucchini bread in pancake form. The best part about zucchini bread in pancake form is that they get stacked and topped with a little pat of melty butter and a drizzle of maple syrup. Breakfast perfection! It also is the perfect use of this month’s Improv Challenge ingredients of zucchini and brown sugar.
One Year Ago: Jam-Filled Muffins
Brown sugar buttermilk pancakes with zucchini and mini chocolate chips.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons melted butter, room temperature
- 1 zucchini, grated
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Heat a nonstick skillet or griddle sprayed with nonstick cooking spray over medium heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk and butter.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix just until moistened.
- Fold in the zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Scoop about 1/4 cup of batter onto the hot pan or griddle and spread it to the desired circumference.
- Cook until you see bubbles forming at the edges, about 3-5 minutes then flip and continue to cook another 2-3 minutes.
Don’t forget to check out what all the other Improvers did with their zucchini and brown sugar!