I love herbs in unexpected places, like desserts or drinks. I think they have this wonderful way of enhancing sweets in a way you that wouldn’t expect. Basil is one of my very favorite herbs. It’s so fresh and I want to eat it in everything. So I was perusing one of my very favorite sites and came across a dessert that just wowed me.
Never have I been so enthralled with a dessert. I have seen (and used) basil in desserts before but these little custards put basil in the spotlight. So many times you see basil as merely a tiny ingredient, a supporting actor. Here there is no mistaking who the star is, front and center.
Basil is ground together with sugar, producing a gorgeous bright green, all-natural color and unbelievable, fresh taste. Only slightly sweet and paired with a balsamic strawberry reduction, this treat will have you devouring it and wanting more.
*What unique ingredients do you use in unexpected places?
Lovely little custards where basil is the shining star with a balsamic strawberry reduction.
- Basil Pots de Creme from BraveTart
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries, plus more for garnish
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and seeds scraped
- Prepare the pots de creme.
- Place strawberries, sugar, balsamic vinegar, vanilla bean seeds and pod into a small saucepan. Simmer over low heat until the strawberries break down and the mixture becomes thick and syrupy. Remove from heat and set aside to cool completely.
- Serve basil pots de creme with a dollop of balsamic strawberry reduction.
Plus 1 hour steep time and 6 hours chill time.