Very Berry Honey Galette with Lavender Whipped Cream ~ #BakeTogether

by FoodBabbles on June 11, 2012

I adore summer foods, fruits and flavors. Actually, if we’re being honest I love foods from all the different seasons but summer and autumn flavors have got to be my very favorites. The arrival of summer this month also means that berry season is in full swing. That was the inspiration behind this month’s BakeTogether with Abby Dodge.

Abby started us out with a base recipe for these adorable Mini Very Berry Pies which already sounded incredible filled with blueberries and raspberries, then topped off with a streusel topping which is always a crowd pleaser. I wanted to make them right off the bat however, that’s not how BakeTogether works, right? I have to put my own unique spin on her already perfect recipe.

For my contribution to this month’s BakeTogether, I opted to first change the shape of the original recipe and transformed mine into a galette. I love pies but a galette has a special place in my heart since it is even easier than pie. I love the free form nature of a galette. I tend to have difficulty with pie dough. It breaks as I try to move it from the rolling surface to the pie plate. Then, as I try to make the edges look all decorative and nice, that usually ends with lopsided, asymmetrical results at best. That’s what makes the galette my perfect pie. Just roll out the dough, place all your fruit inside then simply fold up the edges around the fruit to form a crust that doesn’t have to be uniform, isn’t suppose to be flawless and right there, that’s what makes it perfection.

In addition to transforming mini pies into a galette, I added more berries. Tons of berries! Strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries and then I even found some golden raspberries to throw into the mix. This is truly a very berry galette! I tossed them together with some honey and then I decided the finishing touch would be a little whipped cream but not just any plain ol’ whipped cream.

I infused the cream with a vanilla bean and dried lavender buds to create a lavender whipped cream that was the perfect complement to this simple galette. I’ve used lavender as an ingredient once before for lavender vanilla bean marshmallows. It was met with mixed reviews and determined that lavender is definitely an acquired taste. In this instance, I used significantly less lavender for about the same amount of liquid. I loved the taste of lavender the first time I used it however I now believe with lavender, less is definitely more. This whipped cream just whispers lavender, it doesn’t scream it and that is what made it so good.

Would you like to join  BakeTogether with us? We would love to see what you come up with too! Just drop Abby a line and get in on the fun. Come on!

*What’s your favorite spice, flower or scent to use in the kitchen?

One Year Ago: Chocolate Meringue Pie

Very Berry Honey Galette with Lavender Whipped Cream

For the dough:

1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon granulated sugar

1/2 teaspoon table salt

6 tablespoons (3 ounces) unsalted butter, cut into 6 slices, well chilled

2 tablespoons (1 ounce) vegetable shortening, cut into 2 slices, well chilled

2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon very cold water

2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

For the filling:

1/3 cup honey

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

pinch of salt

3 cups of mixed berries (I used red raspberries, golden raspberries, blueberries, blackberries and strawberries)

1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

zest of 1 lemon

For lavender whipped cream:

1 cup heavy cream

1 teaspoon dried lavender buds

1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped

2 Tablespoons sugar

- Put the flour, sugar and salt in a food processor and pulse briefly to combine. Add the butter and shortening and pulse until the butter and shortening pieces are slightly larger than pea size, about 10 to 12 pulses.

- Drizzle the water and lemon juice evenly over the flour mixture. Pulse until the dough begins to form moist crumbs that are just beginning to clump together, about 8 or 9 more pulses depending on your machine.

- Dump the moist crumbs onto a large piece of plastic wrap and gather into a pile. With the heel of you hand, push and gently smear the dough away from you until the crumbs come together. About three ‘smears’ should do the trick. **(This “Fraisage” technique was something we learned in the Savory Sables BakeTogether - you can see Abby’s pictures here)

- Shape into a 5-inch disc and wrap tightly in the plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours, or up to 2 days.

- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

- In a medium bowl, add all the filling ingredients and gently fold together.

- Set the wrapped, chilled dough on the counter at room temperature for 10 to 20 minutes until the dough is pliable enough to roll. Arrange a large piece of plastic wrap or parchment on the work surface and put the dough in the center. Cover with another piece of plastic or parchment and press down on the dough to flatten. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough between the plastic or parchment to about 1/8 inch thickness, and a 10″ round,  turning, lifting and repositioning the plastic or parchment and lightly flouring throughout the rolling.

- Transfer the dough disk to the center of a baking sheet, lined with parchment paper.

- Mound all the fruit in the center of the dough disk, leaving about a 2-inch border. Fold up the edges around the fruit, pleating and pinching the dough together a bit as you go.

- Bake for 35-45 minutes until golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

- For the whipped cream: In a small sauce pan, combine the heavy cream, lavender buds, vanilla bean seeds and scraped pod.

- Bring the cream just to a simmer. Remove from heat and cover. Let steep for 1 hour.

- Strain the cream mixture through a fine mesh sieve. Refrigerate until cold, at least 2 hours or overnight.

- Just before serving, whip the cream on medium speed until the cream begins to thicken. Sprinkle in sugar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form. Serve immediately.

- Enjoy!

Adapted from Abby Dodge

apuginthekitchen June 11, 2012 at 8:22 am

Gorgeous, mouthwatering and the lavender whipped cream love it!!

FoodBabbles June 11, 2012 at 10:56 am

Thanks, Suzanne! It makes me so happy that you like my recipe and honestly, that lavender whipped cream was off the hook! It has found its way onto many other things already :)

apuginthekitchen June 11, 2012 at 11:22 am

I was always afraid of lavender thinking it would be perfumy but when used correctly it adds a lovely, floral flavor. Goes very well with the berries.

Amanda June 11, 2012 at 9:16 am

Nice! I am also a fan of the galette. I like making small ones to share with my husband or kids. I call them one serving galettes. I love the lavender infused whipped cream. I hear what you’re saying about it being an acquired taste. My husband is not a fan of floral flavors although the rest of my family is. Last fall I made a lavender vanilla applesauce that both the kids and myself enjoyed. I was just fine with my husband sticking to the regular applesauce ;)

FoodBabbles June 11, 2012 at 12:49 pm

I love the idea of making small, personal-sized galettes. I think I’ll have to do that sometime! That will give me the satisfaction of eating a whole galette all by myself and eliminate the guilt of going back for seconds. Ooo! I love the sound of lavender vanilla applesauce. I think I’ll be headed your way for some of that. Yum!

Barbara | Creative Culinary June 11, 2012 at 9:39 am

Love this Kate and you are so right about the lavender. I grow my own but did it for it’s beauty and the occasional vase of buds for their scent. I just started to use it in a culinary way in the past couple of years and it can quickly go from being just the right amount to perfume; a light touch is absolutely necessary!

You know me right…the cocktail person? I’m going to revisit lavender in a martini soon. I’ll give you a drink if you’ll please plate a slice of this for me. :)

FoodBabbles June 11, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Oh, I cannot wait to see a lavender-infused martini! I’ll definitely imbibe and I will surely bring the berry galette with me ;)

jnerissa June 11, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Lavender whipped cream? That is the perfect finishing touch. I love lavender.

FoodBabbles June 11, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Oh, I’m so glad you think so! It was actually a thought right before the galette came out of the oven and it truly was the perfect touch.

Dan June 11, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Looks beautiful (yes, beautiful enough to pin..)

Not that I’d be cooking with flowers (unless you count saffron), but my grandmother made buns using orange blossom. I love the smell of those buns.

FoodBabbles June 11, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Why thank you!! Pin away, pin away ;) Thank you for your wonderful comment! I appreciate it. And I love the sound of buns using orange blossom. I can just imagine how fragrant they must have been.

Wendy Read (@Sunchowder) June 11, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Love it! You know I am a huge lavender fan :) I steep my lavender in hot water and use the liquid to give that hint of flavor in my jams. A hint is the word here! Your galette is brilliant, beautiful photos, just make you want to jump in and eat a slice.

FoodBabbles June 11, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Yes, I’ve learned now that a hint is really all you need for lavender to be such a pleasant undertone to things. Thank you so much for your compliment! I’m so glad you like what I’ve made.

Carol Sacks June 11, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Your galette is beautiful. And, I love the whipped cream with lavender. So creative!

FoodBabbles June 11, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Thank you, Carol! I’m so glad you like it. It was such a fresh, quick summer dessert.

Lisa June 11, 2012 at 11:17 pm

First off..I LOVED your comment – you always leave such great comments :) Secondly, I LOVE your take on Abby’s mini-pies, via turning it into a galette. It looks beautiful, Kate..and all those berries..you went ‘jersey’ on the berries (my new term for postal lol)!! That said, your photos are stunning!

I have only one minor problem..can I have the whipped cream without lavender? I don’t why, I just can’t get into ‘flowery anything’ in my food – especially lavender..it tastes like grandma’s perfume. LOL

FoodBabbles June 12, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Aww, thanks Lisa! I knew it was going to be a long comment as soon as I read your post… I had so many thoughts flowing through my mind. And I’m so glad you like my galette! I definitely went “Jersey” on it ;) (Love that phrase!) And you may certainly go with straight up, unadulterated whipped cream. I know that lavender is not for everyone. It used to be “not for me,” until this whipped cream honestly. This was the first thing I’ve used lavender in that I truly loved.

eastofedencook June 12, 2012 at 1:15 pm

What a scrumptious summer dessert! I have been wanting to add lavender to my baking and infusing the whipped cream is splendid idea. a most delightful post!

FoodBabbles June 12, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Thanks Deb! I’m so glad you think so. The lavender really was so nice in the whipped cream. It was just a hint of it. My husband (who hated the lavender marshmallows I made) even loved it which is indeed a miracle!

LinsFood June 12, 2012 at 1:40 pm

I love this – that close up of all the berries peeking out is awesome! I’m a big fan of galettes but don’t make them often enough! Definitely one for this summer! My favourite scent in the kitchen is Pannetone Aroma – I use it a lot, not just for my Pannetone Bread and Butter Pudding but LOTS of recipes!

FoodBabbles June 12, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Pannetone!! Oooo! What a wonderful aroma and I like that you use it in so many different ways. I bet your home smells just wonderful ;) Thanks for your comment. I’m thrilled to hear you like my recipe and pictures!

Winnie June 12, 2012 at 11:04 pm

I absolutely adore this galette! I am a big fan of lavender…and also rose petals ;)

FoodBabbles June 13, 2012 at 10:10 am

Thanks you, Winnie! I’m so glad you liked this. I’m just starting to experiment with lavender and this was the first time I truly loved it. My previous attempt at using lavender was a little too “perfumy.” I also just got some rose petals and I’m going to start experimenting. I’ve never used them in food before. Any suggestions?

jamielifesafeast June 13, 2012 at 2:39 am

This is wonderful! I’ve really wanted to make a second entry – really just a second dessert – for the Bake Together but was wondering how to change it and make it less streusely. I LOVE your galette version! And it is beautiful! Fabulous dessert!

FoodBabbles June 13, 2012 at 10:11 am

Thank you! Thank you, Jamie! I loved your entry as well. I want to make those ASAP!

cheapethniceatz June 14, 2012 at 10:47 am

I am such a summer berry gal to and I prefer free form crusts like this. The galette looks great. And i really liek the lavender here

FoodBabbles June 15, 2012 at 8:39 am

Thank you!! I’m happy to hear you like it :) And free form crusts are the best! Much less aggravating since it doesn’t have to be perfect.

Triin June 16, 2012 at 7:03 pm

I baked this to take to a friend’s place yesterday and both of us were amazed how tasty this was! I skipped on the whipped creame because I thought I’d make it later but then forgot to get the ingredients *doh!* but it was so yummy all by itself as well. We both said it reminded us of something made by grandmas or moms, that it had such an old-school home-made taste to it which was great.
For the filling I used strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and cherries and it worked well inmho.
Thanks so much for this great recipe, will definitely be making this one again (AND the whipped creame!) and my friend also asked my for the recipe : )

FoodBabbles June 17, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Oh I am SO glad to hear that you enjoyed it!! I love your addition of cherries too. I’m such a big fan of cherries and I think they were probably perfect in this galette. Love it! Thanks for letting me know that you made and enjoyed this recipes.

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust June 17, 2012 at 9:52 am

How super gorgeous! I love the idea of the lavender whipped cream!

FoodBabbles June 17, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Thanks Dorothy! I’m so glad you like it. It was really delicious.

Julie @White Lights on Wednesday April 10, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Can I just say WOW? I love finding ways to cook with lavender. This galette is gorgeous.

Kate April 11, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Thank you so much Julie!! This is one of my all-time favorite posts. And galettes are so easy to make too!

Rachel@I Love My Disorganized Life April 11, 2013 at 11:23 am

This looks absolutely gorgeous, Kate! Although, I’d have no problem cutting into it.

Eva Gold January 28, 2014 at 5:50 am

This sounds delicious. Can I just ask, why do you cook the cream first? Is it possible to soak the lavender in the cream and strain it and whip it right away without cooking it first? thanks!

Kate January 29, 2014 at 12:09 pm

I’m so happy you like this. It’s one of my favorite recipes. I suppose you could just soak the lavender in the cold cream but I doubt you’d be able to impart very much lavender flavor into the cream that way. When you warm the cream, it’s not about cooking it. Warming the cream then steeping the lavender in the covered pan will allow the cream to really take on the lavender flavor. Hope this helps!