Attention! Anyone with high cholesterol, a history of a previous heart attack, doctors, vegetarians or those on a diet… Avert thine eyes! Do not proceed! Look here instead or even here. Right now, it’s all about the meat, mostly bacon and lots of it.
I am a firm believer (like many others) that bacon truly makes everything better. This burger is the epitome of bacon lovin’.
Remember that post about the super-healthy quinoa? Well, this is most definitely the exact opposite but that’s what makes it so darn good. Crispy bacon, onions and aged cheddar get mixed up with ground beef to form an incredibly savory burger. Oh, but that’s not all. No, no, no… Let’s take it a step further and also top it with crisp, smoky bacon strips. Then it all gets finished off with a little kick of horseradish mustard sauce and the freshness of lettuce and tomato seated on a Kaiser roll.
You can even make these slider size which is perfect for Sunday football munching. With the Superbowl right around the corner, what better occasion to serve up some beefy bacon goodness while watching them toss around the ol’ pigskin? Now, I assure you that no cardiologist will recommend eating this much bacon on any sort of regular basis. However, one bite of this juicy burger and your mouth will be watering for more.
Double Bacon Cheddar Burgers
(Makes 6 large burgers)
12 strips of smoky bacon (4 strips, chopped)
1/2 c. onions, finely chopped
2 lbs. ground beef
1 1/2 c. aged sharp cheddar cheese, grated
salt and pepper
1/2 c. grainy mustard
2 Tbsp prepared Horseradish, drained
6 Kaiser rolls
Tomato and lettuce for topping
- In a cool pan, add the chopped bacon. Cook until crispy. Once crispy, add the onions to the pan and cook until tender (just about 2-3 minutes).
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the onions and bacon to a bowl and allow the mixture to cool completely. Reserve the bacon drippings in the pan. Do not discard.
- While the bacon/onion mixture cools, cook the remaining strips of bacon until golden and crispy. Once cooked, set aside on a paper towel-lined plate.
- In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, bacon/onion mixture and shredded cheddar cheese. Season with salt and pepper then form into patties.
- Return the pan with the reserved drippings to medium heat. Add the patties and cook 5-7 minutes per side until desired doneness.
- Mix together the mustard and horseradish.
- Serve the burgers on Kaiser rolls topped with horseradish mustard sauce, lettuce, tomato and 2 strips of bacon.