Most people look at a browning bunch of bananas and think to themselves, “Those are about ready for the trash.” I look at that same sad bunch and think “Ooo!! It’s just about time to make banana bread!” I never even used to like bananas at all, in any form. In fact, I’m still not too crazy about them but if you bake them into moist, cinnamony banana bread just you try to keep me away from that loaf.
For that matter, try to keep anyone away. As soon as that sweet scent starts wafting through the air in my house people start calling dibs. That’s why I now know better than to ever just make one loaf… The minimum is always a two loaf batch, one for us and one to be shared with the rest of the family. The moment those bananas turn brown, every ounce of them is spoken for. This bread is so easy and comes together in a flash! It’s moist, slightly sweet with warm cinnamon and just a touch of nutmeg. I assure you, you’ll have people lining up at your door when they find out you’ve got brown bananas on your countertop.
Classic moist banana bread filled with swirls of cinnamon and a touch of nutmeg.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 5 very ripe bananas
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, beat together the eggs and sugar.
- Stir in the bananas, vanilla, oil, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Stir in the flour mixture in two parts, just until combined.
- Divide the batter into two loaf pans.
- Bake 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until a tester comes out clean.
- *For a healthier version:
- Use half whole wheat flour, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup vegetable oil and 1/4 natural applesauce. Leave all the other ingredients and measurements the same.