August 29th. I look at this date with a bit of melancholy. This date means summer is nearly over. I know technically September 22nd marks the first day of autumn but really, once that calendar flips to September 1st, my mind is out of summer mode. This Strawberry Brie Grilled Cheese feels like summer’s last hurrah to me. Even though a feel a little sad, autumn is my favorite season so I know that I’ll quickly switch gears to thoughts of apples, pumpkin and squash.
As I start to plunge into flavors of the new season I’ll be happy I stowed away a little burst of summer’s bounty. Remember that Balsamic Strawberry Jam I shared with you earlier this week? That’s going to be my little ray of sunshine as cooler weather approaches. I have a few jars hidden that I won’t open until the winter arrives and I really need a special treat. But this week I used a bit to create this unique spin on a grilled cheese sandwich. I love making different grilled cheese sandwiches, like 4 Cheese Italian Caprese Grilled Cheese but this particular sandwich had inspiration elsewhere.
One of my favorite things to make are Baked Brie Bites. Warm, melty brie with jam inside golden, flaky puffed pastry. It’s the perfect bite. That little treat inspired this sandwich. As you know I am a gigantic fan of Sourdough Bread. Huge fan! Sourdough slices were the perfect carrier for brie and strawberries. I loved the slight tang of the toasty golden sourdough with the mild, nutty brie and sweet summer strawberry jam.
Don’t have time (or the desire) to make jam? Not to worry, I included a quick fix that you can make on the spot. This sandwich is truly a special lunchtime treat and a lovely way to hold on to summer, even if for only a short while longer.
One Year Ago: Basil Pots de Creme with Balsamic Strawberry Reduction
Golden, toasted sourdough sandwiches warm, melty brie and balsamic strawberries in this sweet spin on a grilled cheese sandwich.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 8 slices of brie
- 2-4 tablespoons Balsamic Strawberry Jam
- 1/2 cup diced strawberries
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Butter one side of each slice of bread with butter and place two slices in skillet, butter side down. Top each slice with two slices of brie and a tablespoon or two of Balsamic Strawberry Jam.
- Top each sandwich with two more slices of brie and then top with remaining bread slices. Cook until cheese begins to melt and bread is golden. Flip and continue cooking until other side is golden and cheese is completely melted. Serve immediately.
- In a small pot combine strawberries, honey and balsamic vinegar. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer until mixture becomes syrupy and strawberries are tender. Remove from heat and cool while preparing other sandwich components and proceed with directions above.