Thank you to Red Star Yeast for sponsoring today’s post! You can find helpful hints, tips and more wonderful recipes over on Red Star Yeast.
I don’t know what it is about the cooler months, but that’s when I break out the slow cooker and kick it into high gear. I find myself cooking everything in it! I think that it’s because using slow cooker means there’s less mess, less to clean up and I feel like everything that comes out of a slow cooker is instant comfort food.
Stews, chilis, soups. They’re all warm, delicious and ready to keep you warm though autumn and winter. You can even make desserts in a slow cooker! It’s definitely my most versatile small appliance. That got me thinking. What about bread in a slow cooker? I always bake my breads on a stone or inside a cast iron pot because of the even heat distribution.
I had to imagine that a slow cooker would yield that same results and I’m pleased to report, baking bread in a slow cooker is a total win! I love easy bread recipes and this Slow Cooker No Knead Bread definitely fits the bill. I stirred together a few simple ingredients. Flour, salt, yeast, water.
Then I had a virtual blank slate for whatever flavors I wanted to impart on my bread. I chose to make a garlicky loaf of bread filled with spinach and goat cheese crumbles but you can really add anything you like. Not a fan of goat cheese? How about parmesan or asiago? You could add sun dried tomatoes, pepperoni, a swirl of pesto perhaps?
Truly, anything you can think of would be a fabulous addition to this loaf of bread. Once you’ve stirred in your additional ingredients you’ll just let the yeast work its magic. A little rise time and then into the slow cooker it goes. Two hours later, you have freshly baked bread without even turning on the oven!
The bread does come out with a pale crust so I did tuck mine into the oven for a few minutes just to get a deeper color on it and amp up the crust factor a bit but that’s all a personal preference. I know that no matter how you serve this bread, you’ll enjoy it as much as we did. Be sure to visit Red Star Yeast on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or Google+ for more great recipe ideas!
Easy no knead bread baked in a slow cooker filled with spinach, garlic and goat cheese.
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon Red Star Platinum Yeast
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 cups spinach
- 1/2 cup goat cheese crumbles
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt and yeast. Add garlic, spinach and goat cheese crumbles. Gently stir just until evenly distributed in flour mixture. Add water and stir until a shaggy dough forms and all flour has been incorporated.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and allow to sit covered at warm room temperature for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove plastic wrap. Dump dough onto heavily floured large piece of parchment paper that will later be lifted to transfer the dough. Gently shape into a round using floured hands. Dough will be very sticky. Cover lightly with plastic wrap. Let it rest 30-45 minutes.
- While dough rests, heat the slow cooker on high. Transfer parchment paper and dough to slow cooker. Drape slow cooker with paper towels and place lid on slow cooker.
- Cook the bread on high for 2 hours. Remove bread and cool completely on a wire rack.
- **If desired, for a darker, more crisp crust, continue baking bread in a 400 degree oven until golden brown and crisp on top, abut 20 minutes.