**This post was originally shared in November of 2010. Having a great chili recipe for these cooler months is always a must! This one is comfort food at its finest and versatile enough to make it your own. Enjoy it just like this and you won’t be disappointed or use this as a base recipe and make it your own. Go ahead, add beans, corn, bell peppers, more spice! Whatever your heart desires. Enjoy!**
With the cooler weather, comes the crock pot!! I love my crock pot. On those days when you just don’t really feel like cooking, it’s nice to be able to throw together some tasty ingredients and still make a delicious dinner when you don’t quite have the time. Yesterday was one of those days… I had a ton of running around to do all afternoon and returned home right at dinner time. So last night it was wonderful to walk into my house and be welcomed by the savory smell of chili!
I was quite surprised that it was all there undisturbed after I left my precious chili alone with my husband for several hours. This chili is great because it’s just a simple chili. It can be put together in about 20 minutes. Then put that top on the crock pot and viola! Dinner in 8 hours with only barely lifting a finger. If you have more time, you can add more vegetables or any other ingredients you may like in your chili. This is a complete chili that’s versatile enough to add your own touches so give it a try!
A simple, flavorful classic chili recipe.
- 2 pounds ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced or finely chopped
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (1 pound) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 a bar of Pepper Jack cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 3 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- cheddar cheese, grated
- sour cream
- diced raw onions
- In a large skillet, saute the onion for about 2 minutes then add the garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add the ground beef or ground turkey and continue to cook until browned and drain.
- Add the beef/turkey mixture to a slow cooker.
- Add the kidney beans, cubed pepper jack, beef broth and all the spices to the slow cooker and stir until blended together.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with grated cheese, sour cream or raw onions