Caramel and pretzels. These two ingredients are natural partners, in my humble opinion. You know me, I’m all about the whole salty/sweet combo and caramel and pretzels epitomize this combination. So you can probably imagine just how very thrilled I was to see that for this month’s Behind the Curtain Dessert Challenge these two ingredients were our challenge ingredients. Whoo hoo!!
At first I was thinking pie or tart but lately, I’ve come to realized that I make a lot of those. Perhaps you guys are getting sick of seeing so many? I’m not sure. But come on, what’s not to love about pie?!? So my next thought was cookies. I need more cookies in my life. But then I saw a great round up of all these suped up popcorn recipes. I looooove popcorn! And I love to get fancy with and that too, is something that doesn’t happen in my kitchen often enough.
So my wheels started turning and I knew that I wanted to make caramel corn with my caramel. When I made that Maple Bacon Caramel Corn with Pecans, that was a HUGE hit! I needed to take it to work because I seriously could have eaten the entire batch myself. It was an incredibly dangerous treat and this popcorn is a close second. Caramel corn gets dressed up with the salty components of pretzels and potato chips then a drizzle of white chocolate and dark chocolate. The end result is a serious snack lovers dream!
I still kind of want to make a caramel pretzel pie of some sort but in the meantime, I’ll munch on this popcorn and try to resist the temptation. Now I can’t wait to see what everyone else in the group did with their caramel and pretzels! Let’s check it out.
One Year Ago: Chocolate Covered Bacon with Fleur de Sel
Two Years Ago: Fresh Fruit Tart with Gingersnap Crust
Buttery caramel corn with salty pretzels, potato chips and a drizzle of chocolate for the ultimate snack food.
- 1 stick butter, plus more to butter pan
- 10 cups unsalted popcorn, popped
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups pretzels sticks
- 2 cups ridged potato chips, coarsely broken
- 4 ounces white chocolate, melted
- 4 ounces dark chocolate, melted
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Butter a rimmed baking sheet and set aside.
- Place the popped popcorn into a very large bowl.
- In a medium saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar, salt and 4 tablespoons water. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Quickly, evenly drizzle the sugar syrup over the popcorn, tossing to coat evenly.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes until golden and shiny, being careful not to burn the caramel corn, stirring occasionally. In the meantime, line a second baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Removed from oven and transfer popcorn to parchment-lined baking sheet. Working quickly, sprinkle potato chips and pretzels over caramel corn and gently combine. Allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Drizzle popcorn, potato chips and pretzels with melted white chocolate and melted dark chocolate. Allow the popcorn to cool completely and let the chocolate completely set then break into chunks.
Adapted from Martha Stewart