I’ve said it time and again, winter for me is all about warmth. Cozy sweaters, a fire in my living room, a big ol’ yellow lab laying on my feet keeping them warm and kiddos curled up under a blanket cuddling their mama are what winter is all about at our house. I’m not a huge fan of these cold months but things like that help me through it. As much as those physical (and emotional) sources of warmth make the season, the coziness and comfort of food plays just as much of a role in warming me from the inside out.
Warm chocolate cookies fresh from the oven or macaroni and cheese, the ultimate comfort food. Hot chocolate spiced with fragrant cinnamon and topped with pillowy marshmallows. Are you feeling warmer already? I am. One of my very favorite cold weather treats is mulled wine. I often enjoy a glass of wine on an evening out to dinner or when our family gathers on Sunday nights for a big dinner. But mulled wine, well that’s a special treat sure to warm you up.
I love smelling the spicy aroma of wine mingling with cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, star anise, just to name a few of the flavors at play here. That smell alone wafting through my home is comforting but the flavor of the warm spiced, fragrant wine as it passes your lips is so wonderful. For this version I added some citrus which reminded me a little of a warm, spiced sangria. A winter sangria perhaps? Perhaps. Whatever you call it, this very special wine will warm your hands and soul as you relax sipping in front of your fireplace with your pup, children, family, friends or just while you enjoy some quality alone time.
This wine also happens to be my contribution to a collaboration we are calling Cocktail Day! Cocktail day is a fun one day party for all of us to celebrate the new year in style. Some fruity, some chocolately, even a cocktail with bacon and jalapeño! Whatever your pleasure, we have a cocktail to whet your whistle so stick around and see what other things you may want to imbibe.
Other Fabulous Bloggers Mixing It Up with Us for Cocktail Day:
- Pomegranate Party Punch by Cravings of a Lunatic
- White Cosmopolitans by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Hot Buttered Chocolate Rum by Cookistry
- Bacon Jalapeno Bloody Mary by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Blood Orange Old Fashioned by Kelly Bakes
- Caipirinhas by Food Lust People Love
- Chocolate and Peanut Butter Martini by Hungry Couple
- Chocolate Cupcake Cocktail by JavaCupcake
- Ciderhouse Whiskey by From the Bookshelf
- Citrus Cranberry Punch by Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Coconut-Key Lime Pie Martini by Home Cooking Memories
- Egyptian Martini by Cooking In Stilettos
- Espresso Martini by Liv Life
- Frosty Lemon Drop Martini by The Hopeless Housewife
- Frozen Marshmallow Mudslide by 365 Days of Baking & More
- Ginger Raspberry Fizzy by Try Anything Once
- Iced Cake Martini by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Le Jardinier by Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Mandarin Mulled Wine by Food Babbles
- Meyer Lemon Rosemary Gin Fizz by Crumb
- Muddled Rosemary and Pineapple Cocktail by My Catholic Kitchen
- Nutella Martini by The Pink Flour
- Peach Sparkler by Noshing With The Nolands
- Pineapple Margarita by Miss in the Kitchen
- Pomegranate Orange Spritzer by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Safe Sex on the Beach by Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Side Car with Dried Cherries by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Winter Fruit White Wine Sangria by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Apple Pie Moonshine by Lola’s Kitchen
Guess what else? We have goodies for you! Oh yes, we do. THIS GIVEAWAY HAS ENDED
Our sponsors for Cocktail Day are Molecule-R, < span=""> href=”http://www.pagestreetpublishing.com/” target=”_blank”>Page St. Publishing, Race Point Publishing, Fair Winds Press, Microplane, and Not So Simple Syrup.
Molecule-R can be found on facebook, and YouTube. Molecular gastronomy can be defined as the fusion of food science and culinary arts. Molecular gastronomy by Molecule-R is a cookbook with stunning recipes explained and illustrated with the intelligence and aesthetic beauty that defines the MOLECULE-R brand. Mojito R-Evolution teaches you how to deconstruct your mojito into floating mint caviar and spectacular foams or encapsulate your favorite cocktail into a sphere that will explode in your mouth. Margarita R-Evolution teaches you how to create a margarita slush topped with a fresh lemon mousse, add a splash of colour by creating blue azure suspended pearls or encapsulate your margarita into an edible cocktail! Cosmo R-Evolution teaches you how to add a molecular twist to your traditional cosmo sure to awe your guests! Serve a cosmopolitan bubble on a spoon that will pop in your mouth, top off your cocktail with a light fluffy cranberry foam or suspend citrus caviar in your drink.
Microplane can be found on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube. Microplane is a division of family-owned Grace Manufacturing Inc., a long-standing company specializing in the crafting of precision thin metal parts for home and industrial use. The versatile Ultimate Citrus Tool features Microplane’s surgical grade stainless steel Fine blade. In addition, the Ultimate Citrus Tool features two decorative garnishing blades in a large (.300-inch diameter) and small (.180-inch diameter) size. The blades are made in the USA and are dishwasher safe. Microplane’s sleekly designed and multi-functional Bartender’s Garnishing Tool easily opens bottles, effortlessly zests oranges, lemons, limes, and other types of citrus fruits, and is dishwasher safe.
Not So Simple Syrup can be found on Facebook, and Twitter. Not So Simple Syrup is a a small, local maker of simple syrups. Heidi and Barbie’s passion is to create all natural syrups that inspire and stimulate your pension for amazing mixed drinks as well as iced teas and non-alcoholic beverages too. They pride themselves on individual service. When you purchase a NSSS product, you can be sure that it received their personal stamp of approval. The Not So Simple Syrup Survival Gift Basket has two flavours of delicious all natural Not So Simple Syrup, a muddler for the perfect Mojito you might want to create, two glasses and a bar towel.
The list of prizes for Cocktail Day:
2 Individual Copies of Molecule Gastronomy by Molecule-R Cookbook
1 Set of Mojito R-evolution (Molecular Mixology Kit)
1 Set of Margarita R-evolution (Molecular Mixology Kit)
1 Set of Cosmo R-evolution (Molecular Mixology Kit)
1 Copy of The Architecture of the Cocktail sponsored by Race Point Publishing
1 Copy of Apothecary Cocktails sponsored by Fair Winds Press
1 Copy of The Best Craft Cocktails and Bartending with Flair sponsored by Page St. Publishing
A special thank you to The Messy Baker for allowing us to use her gift basket photo. We really appreciate it.
***This giveaway is intended for each prize to have a separate winner! No person can win multiple prizes. This giveaway is open to U.S. residents only . Winners will be chosen by random draw. The winners will be notified via e-mail, and have 3 days to respond or another winner will be chosen.***
There are a ton of prizes up for grabs so ENTER NOW! Good Luck!!
One Year Ago: Zebra Cake
Two Years Ago: Peasant Boule
Warm, fragrant spiced milled wine with citrus notes sure to warm you inside and out.
- 1 (750 mL) bottle red wine
- 2 mandarin oranges, sliced
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 8 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 whole star anise
- dash of nutmeg
- Squeeze the mandarin orange slices into a medium sauce pan then add the oranges to the pot. Add all the other ingredients and stir. Place pot over medium heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 20 minutes. Remove from heat then ladle into mugs or glasses. Serve garnished with an orange slice, if desired. Cover remaining wine and keep warm.
***Disclaimer: This giveaway is being provided by our sponsors, no bloggers have received product or been compensated as a part of this giveaway.***