Welcome to #IceCreamWeek! Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Jen of Juanita’s Cocina have teamed up with more than 20 of their blog friends to bring you a week full of ice cream treats, including a special ice cream giveaway! Prepare to have your taste buds tempted with some of the best ice cream treats around! Make sure you enter the giveaway for a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker and two fabulous ice cream cookbooks so that you can join in on the ice cream fun!
So who doesn’t like ice cream sandwiches? I mean, what’s not to like about cold, creamy ice cream in the first place? But then you smash it between two cookies?!? That’s just a whole lot of wonderful. But have you ever had a waffle sundae? One crisp waffle topped with ice cream and all the fixins? Oh it’s just crazy good! So clearly two waffles must just make the ice cream eating experience doubly good, right? Yep, I thought so. I knew you would agree. So I made you Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Waffle Sandwiches. It doesn’t get much better than this. You can thank me later. Fresh mint chocolate chip ice cream smooshed between two toasty waffles. Oh yaaaa! It’s that kinda good. Oh, and that ice cream? This is the freshest mint flavor I’ve ever had in my life. This isn’t any store bought, extract created mint flavoring going on here. Oh no. I’m talking about a heaping pile of fresh mint infused into cream for flavor like you just ate a mint leaf with some crackly little chocolate bits in there too. Incredible! Oh how I love this week of ice cream! I told you to break out the fat pants. I wasn’t kidding. So get churning. You need this in your life. Don’t forget to check out my Roasted Apricot Honey Ice Cream to enter our ice cream themed giveaway!
If you’d like to check out today’s #IceCreamWeek recipes, drool over the blogs below:
- Cookie Dough Ice Cream Sandwiches by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Butter Pecan Ice Cream by Juanita’s Cocina
- Cupcake Milkshakes by Cook the Story
- Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Waffle Sandwiches by Food Babbles
- White Chocolate Copycat Ice Cream by Quarter Life (Crisis) Cuisine
- Manischewitz Ice Cream by What Jew Wanna Eat
- Blue Moo Cookie Dough Ice Cream by The Spiffy Cookie
- Cherry Almond Crunch Ice Cream by girlichef
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups packed fresh mint leaves
- 4 large egg yolks
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 12 frozen or fresh waffles, toasted
- In a medium sauce pan combine milk, sugar, 1 cup heavy cream, salt and mint leaves. Over medium heat, bring just barely to a boil. Once steaming, remove from heat and cover. Steep mint leaves in cream mixture for 1 hour. Strain the cream into another medium saucepan. Using a wooden spoon, press firmly on the mint leaves to extract all the cream and as much mint flavor as possible. Discard mint leaves.
- In a small bowl, gently whisk together egg yolks. Set aside. Fill a large bowl with ice and place a medium bowl on top of the ice. Pour remaining 1 cup cream into the medium bowl and set a fine mesh sieve on top. Set aside.
- Heat the mint cream mixture over medium heat until steam rises from it. Very slowly pour the hot cream into the egg yolks, whisking constantly until half the cream has been incorporated. Slowly pour the egg mixture back into the pot with the remaining mint cream, whisking constantly. Continue cooking the mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Pour the hot custard mixture through the fine mesh sieve into the medium bowl with the remaining cream. Stir the custard over the ice bath until cool. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, churn the custard in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturers instructions.
- Place a freezer safe container into the freezer. Melt the chocolate until smooth just before ice cream is done churning. Remove container from the freezer. Swirl a bit of the melted chocolate in irregular, swirly patterns over the bottom of the container. Top with a layer of the mint ice cream. Swirl again in the same manner with a bit of chocolate then top with more ice cream. Continue this method until all the ice cream is in the container. Cover and freeze until firm.
- Evenly distribute ice cream among 6 toasted waffles. Top each with another waffle and turn the waffles a bit (like screwing on the top of a jar) to distribute the ice cream between the waffles. Serve immediately or place on a baking sheet in the freezer until ready to serve.
One Year Ago: Cinnamon Pecan Muffins
Smooth, creamy fresh mint ice cream with chips of semi-sweet chocolate sandwiched between two toasted waffles to make ice cream sandwich perfection.
**Time does not include overnight chilling
Adapted from The Perfect Scoop