Welcome to Day 3 of Christmas Week. This annual event was started in 2012, and is hosted by Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic. This year we have over 35 bloggers sharing festive sweet recipes for the event. Plus we all chipped in for a huge Amazon Gift Card Giveaway so be sure to enter!
Christmas Week Amazon Gift Card Giveaway is open to U.S. and Canada. Giveaway will run from December 7, 2015 to December 26, 2015. Winners must be 18 years of age. Winners will be notified by email. Winners will be asked a skill testing question.
This trifle is about to be your new favorite holiday dessert. The spiced sweet potato cake is outstanding. This cake alone is a dessert worthy of serving. Pile it high with fresh whipped cream, perhaps some sugared cranberries and you’re good to go. But let’s take it one step further, shall we?
Here cubes of this wonderfully moist, spiced cake are layered with smooth, sweet cinnamon kissed pastry cream. As if that’s not amazing enough, the sweet and tart combination of the cranberry cherry compote is the perfect complement to the spice cake and pastry cream. The perfect bite of all three of these things is intoxicating and will have you coming back bite after bite. All these flavors are screaming holiday dessert!
Now, be sure to enter this HUGE Amazon giveaway! Then check out all the deliciousness these talented bloggers having store for you today.
Recipes from Day 3 of Christmas Week! Please visit all our talented participants:
Nutella Ganache from Cravings of a Lunatic
Dark Chocolate Turtle Cups from Try Anything Once Culinary
Holiday Marshmallow Oreo Santa’s Hats from Desserts Required
Cranberry Gin Fizz from Poet in the Pantry
Peppermint Mocha Fudge from The Redhead Baker
Petit Pains au Chocolat aux Amandes (Petite Chocolate Almond Croissants) from Pineapple and Coconut
Salted Cashew Caramels from All Roads Lead to the Kitchen
Hazelnut Crescents from Amee’s Savory Dish
Bacon Butter Toffee from Comfortably Domestic
Grandma’s Scottish Shortbread from Farm Fresh Feasts
OREO Snowball Cookies from Flour On My Face
Holiday Triple Chocolate Bark from Mother Would Know
Classic Chocolate Crinkles from Daily Appetite
Orange Cardamom Slice and Bake Cookies from Savory Experiments
Homemade Maple Candy from Cooking In Stilettos
Chocolate Walnut Cranberry Pie from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
No Bake Peppermint Oreo Cheesecake from Big Bear’s Wife
Cream Puffs With Cranberry Orange Sauce from Everyday Southwest
Mini No Bake Eggnog Cheesecake from From Gate to Plate
Chewy Sugar Cookies from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Pignolata-Italian Honey Balls from Savoring Italy
Caramel Chocolate Cups with Peppermint Chips from Dixie Chik Cooks
Maple Gingerbread Marshmallows from The Tomato Tart
Layers of spiced sweet potato cake, cinnamon pastry cream and cranberry cherry compote. Perfect for holiday entertaining!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups cooked, mashed sweet potatoes
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 13 ounces cherry preserves
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 4 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, divided
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare two 9-inch round cake pans by spraying with a baking spray containing flour. Set aside.
- In an electric stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat butter at medium speed until creamy. Slowly add both sugars and beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition, scraping down the sides as necessary. Add sweet potatoes and vanilla, beat again just until blended.
- Whisk together flour and next 6 ingredients. Add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Spoon batter into prepared cake pans.
- Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on a wire rack 10 minutes then remove cake from pans and cool completely on wire rack.
- Bring first 3 ingredients and cranberries to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat; reduce heat to low, and continue simmering for 5 to 6 minutes or until berries begin to pop, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Transfer mixture to a bowl; cool completely then cover and chill for at least 8 hours.
- Whisk together brown sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a large heavy saucepan; whisk in milk and 1 1/2 cups cream. Whisking constantly, bring mixture to a boil over medium heat,. Boil 1 minute then remove from heat.
- Whisk in butter and next 3 ingredients. Transfer mixture to a medium bowl. Cover bowl with plastic wrap, gently pressing the plastic wrap directly on the mixture to prevent a film from forming. Cool completely then chill for at least 8 hours.
- Cut cake layers into cubes. Layer about one-third of cake cubes in a 4-qt. bowl. Top with one-third each cranberry filling then top with one-third pastry cream. Repeat layers twice. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Recipe courtesy of Southern Living