This Chocolate Coconut Protein Puppy Chow is some serious snack food, you guys! Consider yourself warned. You’re going to need to put a portion in a bowl then step away form the rest. Hide it from yourself if necessary because this stuff right here is addictively good!
I love puppy chow. I can remember growing up having the crisp Chex cereal covered in melted chocolate and dusted with powdered sugar. Licking the powdered sugar off my fingers was the best part then I was going back from another handful of the crisp, sweet treat. Being older and wiser, I wanted to give classic puppy chow a little makeover.
This Chocolate Coconut Protein Puppy Chow has no refined sugar and is dairy free. I like to use Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips in my baking and definitely for this puppy chow recipe because not only are they dairy free, refined sugar free, they’re free from all the major allergens including peanuts which is super important in our household due to Maddy’s severe allergy.
Since other nuts aren’t an issue for us, the crispy rice cereal is coated in melted chocolate chips, unrefined coconut oil and raw almond butter then instead of tossing it all in that powdered sugar, I upped the health factor by using vanilla protein powder instead! This isn’t a new idea. Comb Pinterest and you’re sure to find plenty of results for a protein puppy chow recipe. But I had to give it a try for myself. I’m so glad I did!
This puppy chow recipe has flavors of coconut, chocolate and almonds like an Almond Joy Bar! If you love this flavor combination, this snack mix is right up your alley. It’s certainly not health food by any means but as far as snacking goes, it’s certainly a healthier option for a sweet treat! It’s so good you won’t be able to stop yourself from going back for more.
Chocolate, almond and coconut coated crisp rice cereal dusted in vanilla protein powder for a healthier sweet treat!
- 6 ounces Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 cup natural smooth almond butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons unrefined coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 cups Chex cereal, I used Honey Nut
- 1 cup vanilla protein powder
- In a small sauce pan over low heat melt together chocolate chips, almond butter, honey and coconut oil, whisking constantly. Stir in vanilla extract.
- Place Chex cereal in a large bowl. Drizzle melted chocolate mixture over cereal and gently fold cereal until evenly well coated in chocolate.
- Transfer chocolate covered Chex cereal to a large ziplock bag. Add protein powder and shake well until evenly coated.