This week we were all presented with a recipe for zucchini muffins. I remember growing up my dad and grandfather both used to make zucchini bread. In fact, I can’t remember having zucchini bread in many many years. So I was immediately excited to make these muffins. The recipe looked wonderful just the way it was with tons of shredded zucchini which makes for an incredibly moist muffin as well as buttermilk which lately, I have been putting into just about everything.
Even though these muffins sounded good all on their own, I decided to give mine a bit of a sweet spin. I added in a little cinnamon, a hint of nutmeg and then just cause chocolate makes everything a little more special… I added in some mini chocolate chips.
Once they came out of the oven and cooled, Maddy and I sampled the first one. Delicious!! As expected, these lightly spiced sweet little muffins were so incredibly moist. This week’s muffins will be gone quickly for sure!
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins Adapted from 1 Mix, 100 Muffins
Makes about 18 muffins
3 cups grated zucchini
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 large eggs
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
– Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line muffin pan with muffin liners.
– Squeeze as much moisture out of the zucchini as possible.
– In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
– In a large bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Add the sugar, vanilla, buttermilk and oil. Stir to combine.
– Stir in the zucchini.
– Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and gently stir until moistened.
– Fold in the chocolate chips.
– Fill the muffin cups 3/4 full and bake for 20-25 minutes, until a tester comes out clean.
– Cool on a wire rack.