Hey, hey, hooray! Why am I so happy? Because I have a new favorite breakfast that kinda feels like having something a little like dessert yet it’s actually healthy. What’s not to love about that? I’m calling this creation apple pie quinoa because man oh man, the caramelized cinnamon kissed apples in here taste just like warm apple pie. I’m pretty much a fiend for pies of all kinds. I love classic pies, inventive pies, even savory pies! You can check out this drool worthy collection of Prolific Pies if you love pies as much as I do.
The beauty of eating this apple pie quinoa for breakfast is that it can boast that it’s high in protein thanks to that lovely fluffy quinoa as the main ingredient. Next those apples that sound so decadent? Well, only a tiny bit of brown sugar goes into sweetening them just a touch. I’m starting to feel like cheering again! After a healthy start to my day by enjoying this apple pie quinoa, I quickly came to realize this is just the thing to calm your sweet tooth. Later in the afternoon I wanted a little something sweet and I chose to have a small bowl of this quinoa. It was perfect! Just sweet enough to satisfy my craving without sabotaging my efforts to keep my waistline in check.
This will definitely be a recipe that will enter into regular rotation in our home. My girls loved having it for their afternoon snack and I felt really good about giving it to them. I know you’ll enjoy it just as much as we did.
One Year Ago: Hibiscus-Vanilla Bean Pots de Creme
Two Years Ago: Carrot Ginger Orange Smoothie
Three Years Ago: Cannoli Pancakes
Caramelized cinnamon-kissed apples folded into quinoa for a healthy breakfast to start your day.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, divided
- 2 apples, cored and diced
- 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- Prepare quinoa according to package directions. Set aside.
- Add 1/2 tablespoon butter to a skillet and melt over medium heat. Add apples. Sauté apples until caramelized and tender. Sprinkle sugar and cinnamon over apples and stir to coat. Add milk to the skillet then cooked quinoa and remaining 1/2 tablespoon butter. Gently fold all the ingredients together. Serve warm.
**Disclosure: This post is a sponsored opportunity through Foodie.com. All the opinions are my own.