It’s official folks. The holiday season is in full swing and it’s all about parties, eating, time spent with family, friends and of course, shopping for gifts. Being a gal who loooooves food, receiving a gift that is edible is the perfect gift. If it’s handmade, even better! A caring, thoughtful gift that I can then savory later sounds just wonderful to me. This cinnamon hot cocoa in a jar is an easy to make gift that will make anyone happy. Who doesn’t like hot cocoa?
Hot cocoa is just a winter staple. There’s nothing like coming in from the cold after shoveling snow or romping around to find a steamy hot cup of hot chocolate goodness waiting for you. What a way to warm your hands as you wrap them around that mug and then warm you up from the inside out. Marshmallows are a must. They’re my favorite part! A dash of vietnamese cinnamon adds a nice fragrant undertone to this classic cold weather treat.
A few simple ingredients create beautiful layers in a tall canning jar perfect for adding a tag and giving to those you love. Cute and sweet, a divine gift indeed. This month for Secret Recipe Club, I discovered Phemomenon. How awesome is that name?!? Love it! Holly certainly has her hands full with her 3 children and her skydiving, base jumping husband. Oh my goodness, I’m a nervous wreck sometimes having a firefighter for a husband but if he decided to jump off things, I think I’d lose it. To cope with it all and maintain her sanity, she cooks!
I poked around and found tons of things to make. With the holidays in mind, I definitely will be making these Molasses Spice Cookies. And I absolutely NEED these Caramel Cashew Creme Brûlée Tartlettes in my life ASAP. But once my eyes fell on her Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix I knew I’d found my recipe. I changed it up a little bit, adding chocolate chips to make it more decadent because one thing the holidays bring is definitely decadence. I also added vietnamese cinnamon and as I already told you, I needed marshmallows because they’re my favorite part of drinking hot cocoa! I decided to layer this mix and doll it up with some cute string and tags which would make it perfect for gifting. But I had to sample some, you know … just to make sure it was worthy of gifting. It’s a hard job but someone’s gotta do it. Smooth, creamy chocolate perfection. Everything special hot cocoa should be.
One Year Ago: Linzer Cookies
Two Years Ago: Pumpkin Pie with Pecan Streusel Topping
Three Years Ago: Banana Bread
Smooth, creamy decadent hot cocoa mix with a touch of fragrant cinnamon and fluffy marshmallows. Layered in a jar and tied off with string, this makes a wonderful gift!
- 1 1/2 cups non-fat dry milk
- 1 cup high-quality cocoa powder, I prefer Cacao Barry Cocoa Powder
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon vietnamese cinnamon
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 6-8 large marshmallows or 1/2 cup mini marshmallows
- Have ready 2 (16 ounce) canning jars. Beginning with non-fat milk, layer each ingredient into the jars in the order they are listed, dividing ingredients evenly among the two jars ending with the marshmallows. Apply lids and add string and a festive gift tag.
- Mix all jar ingredients together in a large bowl until well combined. Add 3 tablespoons to the bottom of a mug. Heat 6 ounces of water to boiling. Pour into mug and stir until very smooth and all ingredients have dissolved. Store remaining mix in tightly sealed jar.
Adapted from Phemomenon
FTC Disclosure: Food Babbles is an Amazon.com affiliate and receives a minuscule commission on all purchases made through Amazon links in our posts. If you'd like to support the site further, please use this link or use the Amazon ads placed in the sidebar to make your purchases.