Cinnamon Hot Cocoa In A Jar

by Kate on December 9, 2013

Cinnamon Hot Cocoa In A Jar - FoodBabbles.com

It’s official folks. The holiday season is in full swing and it’s all about parties, eating, time spent with family, friends and of course, shopping for gifts. Being a gal who loooooves food, receiving a gift that is edible is the perfect gift. If it’s handmade, even better! A caring, thoughtful gift that I can then savory later sounds just wonderful to me. This cinnamon hot cocoa in a jar is an easy to make gift that will make anyone happy. Who doesn’t like hot cocoa?

Hot cocoa is just a winter staple. There’s nothing like coming in from the cold after shoveling snow or romping around to find a steamy hot cup of hot chocolate goodness waiting for you. What a way to warm your hands as you wrap them around that mug and then warm you up from the inside out. Marshmallows are a must. They’re my favorite part! A dash of vietnamese cinnamon adds a nice fragrant undertone to this classic cold weather treat.

Cinnamon Hot Cocoa In A Jar - FoodBabbles.com

A few simple ingredients create beautiful layers in a tall canning jar perfect for adding a tag and giving to those you love. Cute and sweet, a divine gift indeed. This month for Secret Recipe Club, I discovered Phemomenon. How awesome is that name?!? Love it! Holly certainly has her hands full with her 3 children and her skydiving, base jumping husband. Oh my goodness, I’m a nervous wreck sometimes having a firefighter for a husband but if he decided to jump off things, I think I’d lose it. To cope with it all and maintain her sanity, she cooks!

I poked around and found tons of things to make. With the holidays in mind, I definitely will be making these Molasses Spice Cookies. And I absolutely NEED these Caramel Cashew Creme Brûlée Tartlettes in my life ASAP. But once my eyes fell on her Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix I knew I’d found my recipe. I changed it up a little bit, adding chocolate chips to make it more decadent because one thing the holidays bring is definitely decadence. I also added vietnamese cinnamon and as I already told you, I needed marshmallows because they’re my favorite part of drinking hot cocoa! I decided to layer this mix and doll it up with some cute string and tags which would make it perfect for gifting. But I had to sample some, you know … just to make sure it was worthy of gifting. It’s a hard job but someone’s gotta do it. Smooth, creamy chocolate perfection. Everything special hot cocoa should be.

Cinnamon Hot Cocoa In A Jar - FoodBabbles.com

One Year Ago: Linzer Cookies

Two Years Ago: Pumpkin Pie with Pecan Streusel Topping

Three Years Ago: Banana Bread

Cinnamon Hot Cocoa In A Jar

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 5 minutes

Yield: 20 servings/2 jars

Cinnamon Hot Cocoa In A Jar

Smooth, creamy decadent hot cocoa mix with a touch of fragrant cinnamon and fluffy marshmallows. Layered in a jar and tied off with string, this makes a wonderful gift!

Ingredients

Instructions

To Gift:
  1. Have ready 2 (16 ounce) canning jars. Beginning with non-fat milk, layer each ingredient into the jars in the order they are listed, dividing ingredients evenly among the two jars ending with the marshmallows. Apply lids and add string and a festive gift tag.
  2. To Enjoy:
  3. Mix all jar ingredients together in a large bowl until well combined. Add 3 tablespoons to the bottom of a mug. Heat 6 ounces of water to boiling. Pour into mug and stir until very smooth and all ingredients have dissolved. Store remaining mix in tightly sealed jar.

Notes

Adapted from Phemomenon

FTC Disclosure: Food Babbles is an Amazon.com affiliate and receives a minuscule commission on all purchases made through Amazon links in our posts. If you'd like to support the site further,  please use this link  or use the Amazon ads placed in the sidebar to make your purchases.

Sweet as Sugar Cookies December 9, 2013 at 12:27 am

I just recently made some homemade cocoa mix too this past week so I know yours must be some really good stuff. Whoever receives it is one lucky person.

Carly @ Carly in the Kitchen December 9, 2013 at 10:19 am

Looks beautiful and I’m sure it tastes great! I love gifts in mason jars :) I’ll have to try a dash of cinnamon in my next cup of hot cocoa.

Holly December 9, 2013 at 10:43 am

K. I freaking love your version! The layering and tags and everything are fantastic. I actually have a Mexican hot chocolate mix on the blog too with the chocolate ground up into the mix, but I love the look of this! I need to know where you found those tags! Thanks for such a nice write up.

Kate December 12, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Oh I’ll have to look for that mexican hot chocolate mix! That sounds so good too! And the tags I found on Etsy :) Too cute, right?

Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie December 9, 2013 at 10:54 am

Love this version of hot cocoa. I make a point to make a new flavor variety every winter.

Elizabeth@ Food Ramblings December 9, 2013 at 12:02 pm

This is awesome- what a great holiday gift!

Lesa @ Edesia's Notebook December 9, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Oh man, that sounds so good! I’m definitely putting some cinnamon in my hot chocolate tonight!

sara December 9, 2013 at 1:18 pm

YUM, what an awesome gift! I recently got some Vietnamese cinnamon from Penzey’s – it is sooooo amazing!

Arthur in the Garden! December 9, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Yummy!

Jane, The Heritage Cook December 9, 2013 at 3:25 pm

I love this and don’t tell anyone, but it might just show up as gifts this holiday season, LOL!!

LeAndra December 9, 2013 at 10:19 pm

What a cute idea! I love this pick for this time of year. Not to mention cinnamon-chocolate anything is right up my alley. Delicious!

Isabelle @ Crumb December 9, 2013 at 11:09 pm

How adorable are these jars! I’m totally loving the vintage-style tags and the candy-cane striped twine.
I usually end up making a big batch of cookies to give to people at the office, but this year I think I might change things up… this looks way easier, and way way way cuter. :)

Jess December 10, 2013 at 6:20 am

Such a fun, inexpensive gift, and your styling/wrapping/photos are just fantastic! I need to remember this when I need something simple and fun to give during the holidays!

Oge @ healthy food delivery December 10, 2013 at 11:15 am

I love DIY gifts and I think those that look pretty, smell nice, and taste delicious are the best. I don’t know if you can beat your hot cocoa in a jar in each of these. It would be perfect right about now when it is snowing outside…

ChitChatChomp December 10, 2013 at 8:49 pm

What a brilliant gift idea. My family would love it!

Mary Kay December 11, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Love giving homemade gifts like this – and I love those 50 cent tags!

Evelyne@cheapethniceatz December 11, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Such a great choice and a wow factor! I was salivating over your post yesterday with my dinner guest.

Katrina December 12, 2013 at 12:34 am

Perfectly timed pick. Love that Phemomenon Holly!