Crisps, crumbles, cobblers, buckles. Each one of these type of desserts are ones that immediately bring to mind thoughts of warmth and comfort. There’s something about digging a spoon into a baking dish fresh from the oven filled with warm fruit, fragrant spices and topped with a sprinkle of streusel, oats or biscuits. Here cardamom scented pears are topped with cinnamon streusel in this unique Cardamom Pear Crumble.
Cardamom is a spice that is underused in my house and often forgotten about. I remember several years ago I made an Olive Oil Cake with Candied Oranges. It was my very first time baking with olive oil (which if you haven’t done, you really should give it a try.) The candied oranges are bathed in honey and cardamom which was also the very first time I’d tried cardamom. I was hooked.
When it came time for Improv Challenge this month we were given the ingredients cardamom and orange which immediately brought back memories of that lovely moist, fragrant cake. As I began to think about what to pair my cardamom and orange with this time around, my mind turned to one of my favorite fruits of the season. I know you are wondering where the cranberries are since I’ve been bombarding you with them lately but here I let pears stand by themselves. The pears were accented only by the cardamom and orange. Topped with a walnut and cinnamon streusel, these pears are baked to tender perfection.
As this pear crumble bakes, the aromatic smell of cardamom is absolutely intoxicating. That sweet, spicy, complex smell was so hard to resist and if I wouldn’t have burned my tongue, I would have dug right in. This crumble is best served warm from the oven and a scoop of vanilla ice cream never hurt anybody. Just sayin’.
One Year Ago: Cinnamon Pear Twist Bread
Two Years Ago: Mulled Apple Cider Doughnuts
Three Years Ago: Spicy Orecchiette with Broccoli & Sausage
Cardamom scented pears are topped with cinnamon streusel in this unique crumble.
- 3 large pears, cored and sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 c. flour
- 1/2 c. light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 c. finely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 2 Quart round or 8x8 square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss together pear slices, orange zest and cardamom. Pour into prepared dish.
- Whisk together 1 cup of flour, 1/2 cup light brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Add 6 tablespoons softened butter and rub the mixture until sandy. Add 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts. Press the mixture into clumps and then sprinkle over pears.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes, until top begins to brown. Serve warm.