Lavender Iced Tea

by Kate on June 18, 2013

Post image for Lavender Iced Tea

Summer time means slower days spent relaxing outside in the backyard or lounging on the deck. Poolside or on a sandy beach, we soak up the sun and bathe ourselves in cool water. Kids run squealing through a sprinkler and that is one of my favorite sounds. Summer’s moments are captured and committed to memory. These are some of my favorite times. As we relax outside at a family barbecue or watching our girls play, the summer heat needs to be kept at bay.

You know how I love pairing herbs with fruit in desserts but I also love the flavor creations herbs can add to beverages. The addition of watermelon along with rosemary adds complexity to classic lemonade when I make Rosemary Infused Watermelon Lemonade. When I’m looking for a more grown up beverage, I love using basil with strawberries in an icy Strawberry Basil Margarita.

Lavender Iced Tea - FoodBabbles.com

Iced tea is a classic warm weather beverage. Simple and refreshing, I completely understand why its stood the test of time and it happens to be one of my favorite cool summer sips. This lovely Lavender Iced Tea has a bit of lavender to add some light floral notes then it’s barely sweetened with just a touch of honey for an icy cool summer drink. The flavor of the Lavender Rose Infused Honey I made was the inspiration behind this floral ice tea. You could even use that honey to sweeten this iced tea.

This Lavender Iced Tea is a cool drink everyone will request when they’re looking to quench their thirst. It’s simple to make which makes it oh so very easy to accommodate those requests.

Lavender Iced Tea

10 minutes

Yield: 2 quarts

Lavender Iced Tea

Refreshing iced tea with gentle floral notes for the perfect summer brew.

Ingredients

• 8 Earl Grey tea bags
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon dried lavender buds
  • Honey to taste (optional)

Instructions

1. Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil. Add tea bags and lavender to water and steep 5 minutes. Remove tea bags and strain tea into a heat proof pitcher. Stir in honey, if desired. Cool completely. Serve over ice.

suzanne June 18, 2013 at 8:46 am

Delicious and refreshing, and love the sound of that Strawberry basil margarita too!

Kate June 18, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Thank you Suzanne! It really was so very refreshing. I’ll be making it over and over this summer for sure. And that strawberry basil margarita is delightful!

Cathy Pollak ~ Noble Pig June 18, 2013 at 10:35 am

Lavender buds are now on my list! I love my iced tea in summer, can’t wait to try this new version.

Kate June 18, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Thanks so much Cathy! I hope you enjoy it. I find it to be so very refreshing.

Barb | Creative Culinary June 18, 2013 at 11:25 am

I am now officially missing my lavender bushes! For years they were planted just because they are so pretty in bloom but I long ago learned to love what that fragrant blossom could do for foods when added with a gentle touch. This sounds like such a refreshing beverage; makes me want to do a nighttime raid on my old yard and get some fresh buds!

Kate June 18, 2013 at 2:25 pm

I just got a mental image of you dressing in all black, stealthily nabbing some lavender ;) Thanks so much Barb!

Maureen June 18, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Lavender is one of my favorite summer flavors! And iced tea, my go-to summer beverage. I have a huge lavender plant (culinary) that I harvest every year! Thanks for sharing.

Kate June 18, 2013 at 2:26 pm

I’m so happy to hear you like this recipe Maureen. I’m jealous of your lavender plant. I have not been blessed with a green thumb.

ChristineM June 18, 2013 at 1:28 pm

that does sound good!

Kate June 18, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Thank you Christine!! It really is so very refreshing.

Deb June 18, 2013 at 4:32 pm

What a refreshing summer tea! Every sip is reminiscent of sweet, pungent lavender on a hot summer afternoon!

Kate June 19, 2013 at 1:04 pm

THanks so much Deb! It’s quickly become my favorite summer drink these days.

Rachel @ I Love My Disorganized Life June 20, 2013 at 9:59 am

Lavender is one of my absolute favorite scents! I can’t wait to try this iced tea!

Ashley June 25, 2013 at 2:26 pm

I feel more relaxed just from looking at your pictures of the tea! :)

Megan @ The Pink Flour June 28, 2013 at 12:17 am

Yummy…I love ice tea, especially in the summer. And our town has a lavendar festival this weekend, so I will definitely be buying some to take some home so I can make this drink :) Love your flavor combinations, Kate!

Kate June 30, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Ooo! A lavender festival! That sounds like so much fun. I wish we had something like that around here. Enjoy!

Amber @ The Cook's Sister July 2, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Your iced tea looks so refreshing. Perfect for a relaxing summer afternoon!