I love salads. Usually I see them as a perfect, light lunch or as a side for dinner time. Despite my love of them I don’t often think of them as a meal and certainly not dinner. That’s mostly due to my picky eaters. Never in a million years would I have dreamed that my husband would be requesting salad for dinner. But when I discovered panzanella salad, that all changed.
My husband loooves bread. I’m talking, wants it with every meal, can live on sandwiches alone and if I don’t have bread at dinner next comes the question, “Where’s the bread?” So a salad with bread IN it? Oh, that has his name written all over it. The version I make has grilled chicken, grilled sourdough and is requested almost weekly in the summer.
That salad got me thinking. How about a sweet version? Grilled pound cake served with fruit is a summer favorite in the cooking magazines and across the blogosphere every summer so I took that idea and tweaked it for this Fruit Panzanella Salad. Grilled pound cake is tossed with a vibrant mix of summer fruits for a light summer dessert recipe. Top it off with a dollop of yogurt and you’re good to go!
When I was attending King Arthur Flour Blog & Bake™, we were treated to a dinner and cheese tasting with Cabot. For our dessert that evening, we were served crepes with fruit. The finishing touch was a dollop of Cabot Vanilla Bean Greek Yogurt and from that moment forward, I was smitten. It’s so wonderful! The vanilla bean flavor is amazing and it’s the perfect finish touch for this fruit salad as well. You can certainly use whatever yogurt you like or even whipped cream but really, you should try the Cabot. It’s divine!
Speaking of King Arthur Flour, as you know Blog & Bake was the experience of a lifetime. The time spent in their Baking Education Center was invaluable and I learned so much from their talented teachers. The Norwich Inn where we all stayed was gorgeous, historic and the staff were all so warm and accommodating. From start to finish, it was amazing. Now you have the chance to have a similar experience!
King Arthur Flour is hosting a Baking Adventure Sweepstakes! You can enter daily and even earn more entries when your friends enter too. Here are all the details:
Baking Adventure Sweepstakes
Grand Prize (1 winner):
- 2-night stay at The Norwich Inn
- 2 free class vouchers for our Baking Education Center
- $500 for travel expenses
- $100 gift certificate from King Arthur Flour
- $100 gift certificate from Vermont Country Store
- $50 gift certificate from the Bryant House Restaurant
Runner-Up Prizes (3 winners):
- $100 King Arthur Flour gift certificate
Weekly Prizes (3 winners weekly):
- Coupon for a FREE bag of King Arthur Flour
So what are you waiting for?!?! This is a crazy incredible prize! So head on over to Facebook and get entered. Good luck!! CLICK HERE!!!
One Year Ago: Maple Bacon Caramel Corn with Pecans
Two Years Ago: Cherry Clafouti
Grilled pound cake tossed with fresh summer fruits for a vibrant, tasty summer dessert.
- 1 loaf of pound cake
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- 3 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 cups chopped fresh strawberries
- 1 cup pitted and halved fresh cherries
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
- Vanilla bean greek yogurt or whipped cream, optional
- Preheat grill to medium heat. Slice pound cake into 8 slices. Brush both sides with melted butter. Grill over medium heat until lightly toasted and grill marks are noted on slices, about 2-3 minutes per side. Cool. Cut slices into cubes. Set aside.
- Place raspberries in a small bowl and sprinkle with sugar. Thoroughly mash raspberries. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss together blueberries, strawberries, cherries and mint leaves. Hold a fine mesh sieve over the bowl and press the raspberry mash through to strain seeds. Discard seeds.
- Toss the fruit to coat in the raspberry puree. Add the cubed grilled pound cake and gently toss once more to incorporate. Serve topped with a dollop of yogurt or whipped cream.
Adapted from Cuisine At Home | June 2013