The Return Of A Red Faced Runner – The Weekend Whisk 3/30/13

by Kate on March 30, 2013

Post image for The Return Of A Red Faced Runner – The Weekend Whisk 3/30/13

So, Easter is upon us!! Can I just tell you it’s completely screwing me up that Easter is in March this year and not April? Sure, it’s the very last day in March but still. March doesn’t feel “Easter-y” to me and I didn’t even register that it wasn’t in April this year until about halfway through this month which resulted in no blog Easter treats. None. Zip. Zilch. Nada. Bad blogger!! But you have probably already figured out that I stink at preplanning recipes around upcoming holidays. I kind of just make whatever my little heart desires around here. I don’t know why I have such a mental block about holiday treats. Every now and then I pull a seasonal holiday recipe off a few weeks before the impending holiday but more likely it’s not happening at all or it’s a day or two before. *Note to self: Get better at that!

Easter eggs

Oh but despite not feeling Easter-y because it is indeed March, we dyed eggs with the girls this week! It was Molly’s first time and she was being very silly, pretending to eat them shell and all. It was a blast! Maddy pretty much dyed all her eggs green but Molly livened things up a bit with a few other colors.

So anyway, this Easter I’m going to try not to indulge too much. I suppose that’s always my great plan each holiday. A plan which is usually foiled pretty early on. I’ll be headed to my father‘s house for Easter brunch. I’ll be bringing something I’ve never made, had or even heard of before this week. Queen Salad. Know it? Love it? Saying “What the heck is Queen Salad?”  I was smitten with this lovely treat even before I knew what it was or what was in it purely because Emily of Jelly Toast took a gorgeous Instagram picture of her creation. Queen Salad is a lovely mixture of lemon jello, whipped topping, cream cheese and pineapple that sounds like heaven on earth the way Emily describes it. So I can’t wait to give it a try tomorrow. It’s chillin’ as we speak!

Maddy dying easter eggs

So… Remember when I took on the Red Faced Runners 5K Challenge? I was a running fool back then and even after that 5K, I stuck with it. That is until it got cold. Yup. Instead of sucking it up and buying some cold weather running gear, despite the fact that I missed running, I instead became LAZY. Outright unmotivated and just plain lazy. Flash forward to spring, I’m really kicking myself for it. I ran twice last month and haven’t done a thing since. But I want to get back to THIS… Being a red-faced runner. Sweaty, hair a mess, no make up on but man do I look happy and accomplished.

Red Face Runner

Red Face Runner

I can make all sorts of excuses for it. I’m reeeeally good at making excuses, all of them completely legitimate too. But when it comes right down to the nitty gritty truth, excuses are totally bogus. I stopped making my health and fitness a priority and that’s a crying shame. There’s no excuse for that. So it’s time to take back control. Control of my diet, my exercise habits and my ability to come up with every excuse under the sun about why I couldn’t run or exercise. Since I stopped running, I then stopped going to the gym. When I stopped going to the gym, well then I stopped eating as healthy as I used to. Ice cream came back into my nightly routine BIG TIME and I started eating more of what I was baking instead of sending it off to work. So you know what else came next? A few extra pounds.

A group of food bloggers that I’m friendly with were recently talking about how difficult it is to maintain our weight since starting our respective food blogs. My food blog is a reflection of what I like to make and eat but everything in moderation. Moderation is something I’ve had trouble with lately and I was relieved to find out that this wasn’t an issue I alone was facing. So we decided to support one another, motivate one another and share tips for getting ourselves back to a healthier us. Part of that motivation involves a bet. Yep! A bet!

First 5K 1

Through DietBet, we all will strive to lose a few extra pounds or a whole lot of pounds and 4 weeks from now, anyone who lost at least 4% of their body weight stands to win some cash. The payout will depend on how many entrants and how many people reach their goal but the pot was over $1800 last I checked!! Talk about motivation. For me the money isn’t actually the motivating factor. The motivation for me is this fine group of ladies I’m associated with. They’re so supportive and we keep each other accountable for what we’re doing (or not doing for that matter.) I love being a part of the group and this little diet bet will be a lot of fun! Feel free to join in with us if you like!

One of the other things that a few of us from the group have decided to participate in is the 30-Day Green Smooth Challenge! It starts April 1st and the idea is to drink at least one, if not two green smoothies per day chock full of healthy, tasty fruits and veggies so that we can all reap the benefits of weight loss, clear skin, more energy and a more nourished body all around. When you sign up for the challenge you get a free e-book complete with tasty recipes for a ton of different fruit and veggie smoothies. I can’t wait to get going! And I’m thrilled because my husband will be doing it along with me. He’s been drinking protein enhanced fruit smoothies for a while now so I think he’ll love the addition of veggies in there to make an even healthier drink.

photo

The goal of all this is not simply to shed a few pounds that have creeped on over these harsh winter months but I have goals that I set for myself a long time ago that I still want to meet even if I’m behind the 8-ball right now. The next Red Faced Runners 5K Challenge will be announced soon and I’ll definitely be participating again! The Tough Mudder is something that may nearly kill me due to the fact that I slacked off but I still plan on doing that as well in a mere 2 months. Yikes!!! I better get my act together and it all starts now. A new leaf has officially be turned over again! Hope you all have a happy, healthy Easter!

Pear, Balsamic Caramelized Onion & Goat Cheese Pizza - Food Babbles #pizza @KDBabbles Pear, Balsamic Caramelized Onion & Goat Cheese Pizza

Naked Juices 2Get Naked!

Goat Cheese Tart with Honeyed Apricots - FoodBabbles.com @KDBabbles #tart 3Goat Cheese Tart with Honeyed Apricots

and the most popular post this week was…

Coconut Macaroon Nests - FoodBabbles.com @KDBabbles #candy #cookies #EasterCoconut Macaroon Nests

Babbles Bookmarks:

Kale Blueberry Ice Cream from Simple Green Smoothies: Yes, in keeping with the goal to get back to being more healthy and taking on the green smoothie challenge one of the things I bookmarked this week was this very healthy ice cream!! I need to find something cold and sweet that won’t pack on the pounds. Instead this ice cream will pack in the nutrients with kale, dates, blueberries, bananas… this ice cream is a nutrient powerhouse!

Banana Coconut Parfait from Savory Simple: This will be like eating dessert for breakfast and won’t make me feel one bit guilty. These little parfaits filled with fruit, oats, seeds, yogurt and more can be made ahead which is also a huge bonus aside from the fact that I just want to gobble it right up.

Cheesecake Minis with Strawberry Balsamic Mint Topping from Dine & Dish: And when I’m not being super healthy, I’ll be making these and not feeling guilty either because they’re mini. That means automatic portion control. And really, you know how much I love strawberry balsamic anything so how could I possibly resist these lovely little cheesecakes? The answer is, I cannot.

Carrie @ poet in the pantry March 30, 2013 at 9:09 am

It’s so easy to slack off in the colder months. I used to have skiing to keep me active, at least. Not sure you have a whole lot of options for that in NJ though. Good for you for taking the reigns and getting on it again! I’m with you in spirit!

Kate April 1, 2013 at 1:40 pm

It seriously is SO easy! And now my new problem is that my husband’s schedule has been busier so trying to find time to run when he’s not around as much is an issue. I have a jogging stroller but the girls just talk and ask questions and I cannot talk to them while I’m running. Not to mention, it’s SO much more work running while pushing a heavy stroller with about 65 lbs of little girl in it. Forget it! Need to come up with a Plan C. And soon!

Barb | Creative Culinary March 30, 2013 at 11:08 am

Smoothies have become a big part of our life around here. I make 5 – 32 oz smoothies for my daughter for her workweek; we freeze them and she just puts one from the freezer into the fridge the night before. Instead of making it her breakfast, she simply sips on it all day long as it continues to defrost. I’ve worked so hard to provide her with nutritious foods that I sort of failed to realize I could do the same for me. That is gonna change!

I used to run but an injury put a stop to that; lately packing and moving furniture and boxes has sufficed but I’m ready for warmer months (we’re a month behind you here…still not ‘really’ spring) and some outdoor activities…in the meantime I’ll live vicariously through you Kate! :)

Kate April 1, 2013 at 1:45 pm

It’s so wonderful that you’re providing your daughter that healthy boost that she needs during this time and yes, you DO need to make sure you’re taking care of yourself too ;) Today was Day 1 of green smoothies and I’m diggin’ it! It took a little getting used to and I sipped 16 ounces for about 2 hours but I loved the taste. For me, I had to adjust to the texture of it but all in all, I liked it and I’m hoping to make it a daily healthy habit.

Holly March 30, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Keep up the running! You are motivating me to get out there too. I started strong in December but have faded quickly and maybe ran once in the last two months. I am doing better with walks but I am ready for spring to kick in and give me the motivation to get moving…although trying on a bathing suit the other day in a dressing room with mirrors all around did that already!

Kate April 1, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Oh, I can only imagine how much motivation bathing suit shopping would provide. I loathe bathing suit shopping and haven’t braved that just yet. But we’re taking our girls on vacation at the end of the month and the whole thing is pools and water slides so that moment of truth is coming up soon. Ugh!

Kristen March 30, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Yay for that gorgeous red face!! We can do it – with support and encouragement – which we now have we’ll be red faced again before we know it!

Kate April 1, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Yes we can!!! Thanks already for providing support and inspiration through RFR and our Facebook group. I’m ready to get out there and get going!

Lisa March 31, 2013 at 2:51 am

I have a holiday treat ‘blog’ block too! This past year, I managed to eke a few out, but they were kind half-arsed. That said, your kiddos are adorable and so are you, with your red ‘runner’ face! I’m a horrible runner – I’m more into taking walks, aerobics and gym equipment….but I do get ‘red face’ walking fast for an hour on the treadmill. Does that count? ;D

Kate April 1, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Thanks Lisa for all the compliments ;) And yes, a red faced treadmill walk absolutely counts! As long as you’re moving, right? I need to do more of it. ASAP!

suzanne March 31, 2013 at 8:55 am

Happy Easter! You are so right, it’s easy to slack off and when you do it’s a downward spiral. Food blogging makes it so difficult to stick to a healthful food regime. I try to give away what I make so it doesn’t go into my mouth but that doesn’t always work. Good for you getting back into a more healthy routine.

Kate April 1, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Happy Easter to you too, Suzanne! Hope you had a wonderful holiday! Food blogging does present some unique challenges. So much temptation! At times I wish I had chosen to write a healthy eating blog :) but I love desserts, decadent desserts!

Kim Bee March 31, 2013 at 10:30 pm

Good for you lady. Super proud of you, love that photo of your gorgeous red face.

I stink at remembering holidays as well. Maybe we need to join forces and start reminding each other.

I love everything you made but those pizzas about killed me, so delish! Genius!

Kate April 1, 2013 at 1:53 pm

We can totally remind each other! I need all the help I can get ;) And thanks for the support! I need to get back on track here. Summer is acomin’ and well, I can’t avoid bathing suits the whole time :)

Meghan @ The Tasty Fork April 1, 2013 at 9:37 am

You must be reading my mind! I’ve just been feeling really “weighed” down from all of my blogger recipes! I’ve put on a couple pounds and even my 6 day a week work out routine is NOT helping. I talked my husband into doing a cleanse with me for 3 days (I hope we don’t kill eachother!) and then afterwards, I’ll continue to do all fruit/veggie smoothies for atleast one meal (or 2 meals) a day. They taste really good so I don’t feel like I’m suffering :)

Kate April 1, 2013 at 1:56 pm

See? If I were like you and exercising 6 days a week I think I’d be fine! I used to go to the gym 5-6 days a week plus run 3 times a week. I did just fall off the wagon, I took a huge dive off the wagon and ran in the other direction completely. I haven’t done anything in months and all the progress I made in health/fitness is just gone. I feel like a big fat jerk. But it’s time to get back to it and make it a priority again. Then before the weather turns cool again I need to come up with a game plan to keep up my momentum when it’s cold outside. Good luck with your cleanse!!