Coffee Lover’s Cookies – Secret Recipe Club

by Kate on January 7, 2013

Post image for Coffee Lover’s Cookies – Secret Recipe Club

After a one month reprieve, we’re back! For the Secret Recipe Club this month, I was paired with Ginny of Cooking with Chopin. When Ginny’s site loaded on my computer screen, I immediately chuckled and knew I was going to love her and be able to relate to her life. The full title proudly displays across the header of her site and reads, “Cooking with Chopin. Living with Elmo.” Oh that is definitely my life! Somewhere in between Elmo, Noodle & Doodle and Super Why, I’m still an adult listening to classical music while I cook peacefully in my kitchen.

These days the cooking in my kitchen is less peacefully, more harried. Baking is messier and sometimes a guessing game as little hands measure a little too much or too little. The tradeoff is a culinary experience that creates memories for my girls and I, ones that I truly hope they will cherish as much as I do. These cookies are perfect for baking with young children or for when you want a fuss-free, quick treat. They come together in a flash with the help of a boxed cake mix that gets doctored up a bit. Oh and if you like coffee, you’re in for a treat. These are for the over the top coffee lover because they pack a serious java punch.

Coffee Lover Cookies 1

Chocolate cookies with a bit of espresso powder are reason enough to bake a batch but then you toss in some of my new favorite ingredients, King Arthur Flour Cappuccino Chips and Yowza!! You have the one of the best cookies I’ve ever baked and I have Ginny to thank for the base recipe. She made it so hard to pick a recipe. Her site is filled with delights that had me making a gigantic list of things I wanted to bake. Ginny’s English Toffee Bars sound incredible or how about some Nutella Chocolate ChunkGranola? This Pear Cobbler sounds perfect for these cool months and her Apple Cinnamon Pull Apart Loaf will definitely be made in my kitchen in the very near future.

Coffee Lover Cookies - FoodBabbles.com

I even considered making something that required no cooking or eating for that matter. Ginny tried a homemade face mask containing some yummy ingredients and even posted a picture of her gorgeous face with it on. I loved Cooking with Chopin and Ginny has gained a reader for life. I adore her site and I know you will too. In the meantime, whip up a batch of the chocolate coffee cookies and then head on over and say hi to Ginny. These were a hit at home, even the little ones loved their big coffee flavor.

Coffee Lover Cookies - FoodBabbles.com

She likes them!

One Year Ago: Top 11 of 2011

This recipe may be linked to some or all of these wonderful Linky parties!

Coffee Lover’s Cookies

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 12 minutes

Yield: about 3 dozen

Coffee Lover’s Cookies

Chocolate espresso cookies scattered with cappuccino chips for the ultimate coffee lover's cookie.

Ingredients

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together the cake mix, espresso powder and brown sugar. Add the eggs, melted butter and vanilla extract. Stir until well blended.
  3. Add the cappuccino chips and stir to distribute.
  4. Drop by level tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets.
  5. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
  6. Cool on baking sheet for 2 minutes and then move to cooling rack.
  7. Enjoy!

Notes

Adapted from Cooking with Chopin

Now I can’t wait to see all the other Secret Recipe Club recipes for this month!

melissa@IWasBornToCook January 7, 2013 at 12:22 pm

These look delicious! Love the cappuccino chips.

Kate January 7, 2013 at 8:47 pm

Thank you Melissa!! If you love coffee, you won’t be able to resist these.

sara January 7, 2013 at 12:27 pm

These look incredible…what a delicious treat! :-D

Kate January 7, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Thank you Sara! I’m so glad you think so. They’re a coffee lovers dream!

Amanda January 7, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Coffee in a cookie?!?! Sounds perfect!!! Great SRC pick :-)

Kate January 7, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Thank you Amanda! I’m so happy you like them!

Ginny January 7, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Kate! These cookies look amazing! I must try this with the espresso powder and the King Arthur chips (I’ve never even *heard* of these before! Wow!). Love that precious little hand dunking the cookie into the mug of milk.

Thank you for your kind words about my blog. I was really blessed that you spent so much time looking through my recipes and that you liked what you saw. You pretty much made my day. Thank you, Kate!

Warmly,
Ginny

Kate January 7, 2013 at 8:51 pm

You’re very welcome, Ginny! I truly loved your blog and before this month I didn’t even know you existed. Now, you have gained a steady reader. I’m so glad you liked what I did with the recipe.

Robin January 7, 2013 at 2:26 pm

WoW! They look yummy! What a good idea. I saw your link on Serendipity and Spice. I would love for you to come by and share your creativity with my friends @

Robin@ Fluster Buster
Fluster Muster Linky Party – Wednesdays

Kate January 7, 2013 at 8:53 pm

I’m so glad you like my cookies! And thanks for telling me about your Linky Party. I’ll be sure to swing on by!

Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom January 7, 2013 at 10:36 pm

YUM!!! and your daughter is a DOLL!! so cute!!

Kate January 9, 2013 at 10:56 pm

Aww, thanks Alice!

Lisa January 7, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Kate, Kate, Kate..these cookies are to.die.for and I’m not a huge coffee fan. Well, scratch that..I only like it in baked goods..with chocolate..so mocha is a definite ‘like’. I could eat a dozen or more of your cookies. What a fantastic SRC choice from Ginny’s blog! That said..I’m so sorry your babies were and still are a little sick. This flu is a killer! Right now I feel a little better, but it alternates. Next year – flu shot! As for my story – Oy Ve..I can’t wait to finish it!!!!

Kate January 9, 2013 at 10:58 pm

Thanks Lisa! I am a huge mocha fan myself but I’m also a coffee lover all around. I’m so glad you like these and most importantly, I’m so happy to hear you’re feeling better! I hope it stays that way. Definitely gotta get that flu shot *says the girl who never gets the flu shot… but I also never get the flu. Maybe I’m immune from working around sick people all the time. As for the story…. NOOOOOoooooooo!!! ;) I don’t want it to be over but I hear what you’re saying. xoxo

Katrina January 8, 2013 at 12:43 am

The cookies look great and now I need to go check out that Nutella Granola! ;) Happy New Year!

Kate January 9, 2013 at 10:59 pm

I know, right?? How good does that Nutella Granola sound?!? I need that in my life. Happy new year to you too!

Evelyne@cheapethniceatz January 8, 2013 at 9:48 am

These cookies sounds so amazing, I never heard of cappuccino chips? Have to check out that mask too.

Kate January 9, 2013 at 11:00 pm

Thanks Evelyne! I only recently discovered cappuccino chips and they are truly amazing. And that mask, she reported great results. I’m going to do it too!

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction January 8, 2013 at 10:06 am

These are my kind of cookies! I’d love a couple of these with a cup of coffee!

Kate January 9, 2013 at 11:00 pm

Thanks Jessica! They went fast. They are definitely addictive.

Nicole @ Daily Dish Recipes January 8, 2013 at 11:06 am

Those cookies are amazing! As I sit here sipping my coffee this morning I am longing for a cookie to go with it… these, of course, would be perfect!
Great pick this month Kate!

Kate January 9, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Thank you Nicole! I’m so happy you think so.

Holly January 8, 2013 at 11:32 am

Oh I love cookies with a hint of coffee. These would be perfect for me this morning, wish I had some in the kitchen already!

Kate January 9, 2013 at 11:02 pm

Oh these cookies will do the trick if you like coffee but it’s more than a hint of coffee. It’s like “Hellooooo, I’m HERE!!” :)

sarah k @ the pajama chef January 8, 2013 at 2:04 pm

oh man. these cookies sound fabulous! must try :)

Kate January 9, 2013 at 11:02 pm

Thanks Sarah! Hope you like them.

Maureen | Orgasmic Chef January 9, 2013 at 5:12 am

No cappuccino chips in Australia and no King Arthur’s either. The American in me is swooning over these cookies. I might need a rescue box from the family. They look delicious.

Kate January 9, 2013 at 11:03 pm

YES! Have them send you out some goodies because King Arthur’s is just outstanding. I just discovered their cappuccino chips and they’re amazing. Amazing! Happy you liked my cookies, Maureen. Thank you!

Wendy @laphemmephoodie January 9, 2013 at 10:40 am

I love the idea of adding espresso powder to cookies. I add it to my post-workout shakes but never thought to add it to cookies. Brilliant!

Kate January 9, 2013 at 11:04 pm

Well, you’ve just given me a new idea too. How have I never thought to add espresso powder to my post-workout shake?? Genius! And thank you :) Glad you like these cookies!

Heather Who Needs a Cape? January 10, 2013 at 8:30 am

oh my – how did I miss that there were Cappuccino chips? yum!

Found you at 2 cup tuesdays!

Kate January 10, 2013 at 10:52 am

Hi Heather! Thanks for passing by. I’m so happy you found me and that you like these cookies. Hope you’ll come say hello again soon!

Margaret January 10, 2013 at 11:58 pm

From the sounds of it it would be hard to pick just one recipe. Looks like you got the right one, though.

Kate January 13, 2013 at 10:37 am

She has so many lovely recipes. It was definitely a hard choice.

Lisa~~ January 12, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Cooking with our wee ones is always an adventure and a treat, especially when they enjoy what’s made. Your cookies look delicious.

If you haven’t already, I’d love for you to check out my SRC entry: Creamy Mints.

Lisa~~

Kate January 13, 2013 at 10:48 am

So true! Thank you Lisa!

kelly @ kellybakes January 13, 2013 at 11:45 pm

Love chocolate & coffee together. I also love how dark these came out! I hate when I attempt to make something with plain old cocoa and it turns reddish brown. I need to get me some dark chocolate cake mix and do some tinkering. :)

Kate January 14, 2013 at 3:27 pm

This was the first time I’d used a cake mix to make cookies and it really was pretty darn fantastic! These flavors were potent and intense in a very good way.

Sarah @ Alderberry Hill January 14, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Thanks so much for linking to Make the Scene Monday @ Alderberry Hill. You are being featured later this evening!
Have a fantastic new year!

Kate January 14, 2013 at 5:25 pm

I’m so flattered! Thank you so much Sarah. I’ll definitely pop over later to see. I really appreciate that and I’m so happy you liked these cookies.

Sarah E January 18, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Those look fantastic! Stopping by from Two Cup Tuesday :)

Kate January 21, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Thanks Sarah! So happy to hear you like these.