I don’t know about you, but I’ve been up to my eyeballs in cookies! Tis the season, right? I love cookies just as much as the next person but sometimes you need something else to compliment that cookie tray. These little peppermint meringues are just the thing! They’re just as easy, if not easier than whipping up a batch of cookies. They’re light, airy and refreshing with the coolness of peppermint. They melt in your mouth and you’ll want to keep eating more. Oh, and the best part? You can keep eating them because they’re fat-free! During this time of year, I find myself overindulging at times so I always appreciate a sweet treat that won’t send me running for my fat pants.
These are so festive and incredibly easy! I’m talking, you could whip up a batch of these and be eating them in under an hour. Easy. They also keep really well as long as they are in an airtight container. I’ve got mine all ready for Santa to sample this evening after the kiddies are all snug in their beds while visions of sugar plums dance in their heads. I love Christmas Eve. I may love it even more than Christmas day. We’ll be spending a nice evening together at a family dinner with Mike’s family. Then it’s home to spend what’s likely to be several hours wrapping all the gifts. Hope all of you enjoy time with family and friends as you celebrate the holidays.
Light, airy meringues with the refreshing coolness of peppermint.
- 2 large eggs whites
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Red gel food coloring
- Heat oven to 200 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Have ready a pastry bag fitted with a star tip.
- Add water to a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer. In a very clean large glass or metal bowl, whisk together the egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar. Place bowl over simmering water being sure that the bowl isn't touching the water.
- Whisking egg whites constantly, cook the mixture until the sugar is completely dissolved and the mixture is very warm. This will only take about 3 minutes.
- With a mixer on low speed, mix until frothy then increase speed to hight and beat until soft glossy peaks form, about 5 minutes. Add the peppermint extract and beat to incorporate.
- Remove 1 tablespoon of the meringue and transfer to a small bowl. Add a few drops of the food coloring to achieve desired shade of red. Using a skewer or small paintbrush, paint 3 vertical stripes on the inside of the pastry bag.
- Very gently spoon the remaining meringue into the pastry bag, taking care not to smear the red stripes.
- Pipe stars onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 20-30 minutes for small stars or 30-40 minutes for large stars, until the meringues are just set on the outside.
- Remove from oven and move meringues still on the parchment paper onto wire racks to cool completely.
Source: Women's Day Magazine