Pumpkin season is upon us! Whoo hoo! As I mentioned on Monday, now the pumpkin onslaught can begin. Although I promise to break it up a bit with other non-pumpkin goodies. But I adore all things autumn and all things pumpkin so I couldn’t be happier that this month for BundtaMonth the ingredient we have to work with is indeed pumpkin. I did an apple pumpkin bundt with an apple cider glaze last fall. I loved combining pretty much all my favorite fall flavors into one glorious bundt. So as I was trying to think about what I’d like to add to my pumpkin bundt this time around I decided what this cake needed was a filling.
So fill it is what I did! I sweetened a little cream cheese for a nice surprise in the middle of each piece. Beyond that, I decided not to mess around with a good thing. Pumpkin and spices are wonderful all on their own. So what about you? How about making a pumpkin bundt and putting your own spin on it? It’s fun, tasty and easy to join in on.
An autumn bundt cake with pumpkin that hides a sweetened cream cheese filling.
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon all-spice
- 8 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream, at room temperature
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- Position an oven rack in the center of the oven. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease and flour the inside of a bundt pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, sugar, egg and vanilla using a hand mixer until smooth. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, cloves and all-spice. Whisk until well blended.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment on medium speed until well blended, about 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add half the flour mixture and mix on low just until blended.
- Add the sour cream and pumpkin puree and continue mixing just until blended.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in the remaining flour mixture.
- Scrape half the batter into the bundt pan and spread evenly.
- Spoon the cream cheese batter evenly on top of the pumpkin batter.
- Spoon the remaining batter evenly over the cream cheese batter.
- Bake until the top is browned and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack until warm then invert and allow to finish cooling on the wire rack.