Chocolate Macarons with Balsamic Ganache

by Kate on June 22, 2012

What is Monthly Miettes, you may ask? Well, as you have already probably figured out I have involved myself is yes, another monthly baking project. I hope you will love this monthly installment as much as I anticipate enjoying participating in it. There’s a little cookbook called Miette by Meg Ray, named after her pastry shop in San Francisco.

How cute is this place?!?

This cookbook is a compilation of her tried and true recipes, and contains invaluable instruction on the finer techniques in cake baking and decorating.

Amy of Food Je t’Aimee decided she wanted to bake her way through this darling little cookbook with scalloped edges and give herself as well as others, a challenge. These recipes are definitely challenging which is also the reason I want to be a part of this project. We won’t publish the recipes because trust me, you want to own this cookbook!

The recipes are gorgeous and it’s something that you will want to add to your collection. Oh and there’s one more rule! After we make our creation, you MUST eat a bit of it for breakfast. Yes, breakfast! Why? You’ll have to watch this video to understand. Prepare to be enamoured!

So for this month we were assigned Parisian Macarons on page 145. There were many variations. As you know, I’ve made macarons before with varying levels of success. I have to tell you. Meg’s recipe will be the only one you need to have macaron success. As I read the recipe, it differed from ones I’ve used in the past and it almost seemed too easy. She also says to let your macarons sit out for 2 hours before baking. If you’ve ever tried to make macarons, you know there’s a wealth of knowledge on the internet and they all contradict one another. Some say let your macarons sit 30 minutes, an hour or not at all. You just have to give it a go and figure out what works for you. For me, this is my new go-to recipe. It was easy and resulted in nearly flawless macarons.

Once I mixed up the batter, I started to have my doubts about success. It looked so different from my batter in the past. It was much thicker. Then it occurred to me, perhaps I’ve had the macaron batter consistency all wrong before? I decided to just go with it. I piped circles onto my parchment lined baking sheets and set them in the oven. I closed the door and hoped for the best. A few minutes later, I opened the oven and removed my chocolatey macarons. Behold, perfection! I had feet!

I made her lovely chocolate ganache to which I added a little balsamic vinegar and filled the macarons. My first month with Monthly Miettes was officially a huge success. I cannot wait to see what next month will hold! If you’d like to join in with us, get yourself a copy of this dainty cookbook then head on over and drop Amy a line.

*Do you have a favorite cookbook? This is definitely my new favorite.

Lisa June 22, 2012 at 10:44 pm

I wouldn’t even touch macaron making in this weather, but kudos to you, they look awesome, and I love you for adding balsamic to the chocolate ganache! I want a taste BADLY!

Kate June 23, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Thanks Lisa! I’m telling you, that recipe was fantastic. It made making them so easy. Of course, I’ll need to try them again to make sure it wasn’t a fluke but it was the easiest mac making experience to date.

Jamie June 23, 2012 at 12:41 pm

I so wanted to join this group and bake my way with you all through this adorable cookbook but I knew I wouldn’t have the time. But I need to catch up and see everything you’ve baked! The macs are wonderful and now I crave them. Beautiful!!

Kate June 23, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Thanks Jamie! I absolutely adore this cookbook. So dainty and adorable, not to mention the recipes sound so scrumptious. This is my first month doing this and now I can’t wait to make them all!

LinsFood June 23, 2012 at 3:27 pm

I love these! I have never come across balsamic vinegar in chocolate ganache, what difference does it make? Is it the taste or the texture that changes?
My first time making macarons and had a blast!

Kate June 23, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Wow! Thanks! I’m so glad you like them. I can’t wait to go check out everyone’s creations. As for the balsamic vinegar, it’s the taste that changes. It still tastes like dark chocolate but the acidity of the balsamic vinegar adds such a pleasant note to the chocolate. It’s actually kind of hard to explain, now that I try to do it. But if you like balsamic vinegar, it is a flavor composition that you will definitely enjoy. Let me know if you try it! I am a huge balsamic vinegar fan. I also like it paired with strawberries or cherries. Have you tried it on fruit?

Aimee @ Food, Je t'Aimee June 24, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Hooray! SO glad to hear of your success with this recipe, especially given how you’ve tried to make them before! Your macs look rich and decadent, yet light and airy! I *love* the addition of balsamic to the ganache, too. Thanks so much for joining us for #MonthlyMiettes this month – happy to have you along!

Kate June 24, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Thanks Aimee! Loved my first month with Monthly Miettes! Can’t wait to see what next month holds.

Jing June 25, 2012 at 4:47 am

Balsamic ganache! That’s brilliant! I love chocolate AND balsamic vinegar. I’ll have to try this :) And your macs look really good!

Kate June 25, 2012 at 10:48 am

Thank you so much, Jing! I’m so glad you think so :) I really appreciate that!

Riley June 25, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Balsamic ganache sounds so good! Can’t wait to give these a try.

Kate June 25, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Thanks Riley! I hope you like them :)

CCU June 26, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Your macarons look like mudcake in biscuit form :D
Stunning!
Also beautiful blog!

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Kate June 26, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Thanks so much!!

Stay-At-Home-Chef July 3, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Kate my friend – I am soooooo thrilled you’re joining us for Monthly Miettes! Wow, your cookies turned out perfectly and the addition of balsamic to the chocolate ganache must have been incredible. Here’s hoping for continued success with the Strawberry Charlotte (yikes!)

Kate July 3, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Thanks so much, Jasmine! I loved this recipe and I love the whole cookbook. I am incredible nervous about the Strawberry Charlotte. Hopefully we all have success with that!