“Peanut Butter” & Jelly Pie ~ Improv Challenge

by FoodBabbles on April 19, 2012

This month for Improv Challenge our two ingredients were peanut butter and jelly. An all around classic combination for sure.  I can remember as a kid unwrapping aluminum foil at school lunch time to find a peanut butter sandwich with grape jelly. Peanut butter is one of my very favorite things ever! Unfortunately, these days there are no peanuts to be found around here. We have a completely peanut-free house.

I know I’ve mentioned it in passing here, that Madelyn has a severe peanut allergy. A few months back she tried peanut butter for the very first time. I wasn’t the least bit concerned. There’s no family history of food allergies of any kind on either Mike’s or my side of the family. I presented a piece of toast with a light coat of peanut butter on it to her for breakfast one morning. She touched her little finger to the peanut butter and dabbed just a tiny bit on her tongue to give it a try.

That was all it took. What happened next occurred with in a matter of about 3 minutes… Only seconds after her little taste of peanut butter she had little hives forming. Moments later her eyes became itchy, watery and started to swell. Shortly there after she began drooling and I knew that her tongue and possibly her airway were swelling too. But before that time came I had already given her a dose of Benadryl,  was out the door and on my way to the emergency room. As I drove quickly to the hospital, praying that everything would be okay I reassured Maddy and encouraged her to sing so that I could hear that her airway was alright. Maddy loves to sing so it was also the perfect thing to help her keep her mind off of what was going on in her little body.

I felt very fortunate that morning to be a paramedic. I knew within minutes that Maddy was having a very severe allergic reaction called anaphylaxis. If it weren’t for my medical knowledge, I may have waited, stayed home and not reacted so quickly. The flip side of that is, sometimes having all that knowledge makes a situation even scarier because you know just how bad the situation is. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

After arriving at the ER, Maddy was quickly seen and treated. Fortunately, everything turned out just fine. But these days I’m not taking any chances. We don’t have any peanuts in our house or products that are produced in places that also handle peanuts. So when I saw the ingredient selection for the Improv Challenge this month, I knew I had to really put my own spin on it. Fortunately, Maddy is only allergic to peanuts and not any other nuts.

So I have for you a peanut butter pie with no peanut butter but you could certainly add it in, if you like. I had decided I would make a Nutella pie because along with bacon, Nutella is just one of the oh so perfect foods that just makes everything better. Mike was at the store getting a few things and I had asked him to get the ingredients for the pie. Wouldn’t you know, he forgot the main ingredient!! So plan B.

Fortunately, Nutella is one of those things I always have in the house. I had just a little bit left in a jar which I scraped clean and then I combined that with my newest obsession, Biscoff spread. I combined them with the other ingredients, I then took my first taste. I really didn’t know how this was going to turn out and I almost thought I would be making a new pie. However, I have officially stumbled onto something wonderful! The cocoa hazelnut with the Biscoff cookies was so tasty! Then in keeping with the peanut butter and jelly theme, I dolloped a little raspberry jam on top. Raspberries and chocolate definitely go together and I’m always a fan of jam in a cookie. Sweet success! And you want to know the funny thing? As we ate this for dessert, I realized it has a kind of peanut buttery taste to it. I don’t know how that could possibly be but Mike agreed also. So if you make it, let me know if we’re crazy or if you taste it too!

PS… I used a premade graham cracker crust because it’s what I had on hand and it reminded me of that aluminum foil wrapped sandwich ;) but you can certainly make your own crust from scratch too.

*What’s your favorite way to eat peanut butter?

One Year Ago: Sopaipillas with Chocolate Sauce

Now don’t forget to go check out what kind of spin all the other “Improvers” put on the classic PB&J ;)

Print This Recipe Print This Recipe

“Peanut Butter” & Jelly Pie

1 premade graham cracker crust (or a chocolate cookie crust would be awesome too!)

3/4 cup Nutella

1/4 cup Biscoff spread

(*Or 1 cup of peanut butter)

1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, room temperature

4 Tablespoons butter, room temperature

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

3/4 cup heavy cream

5 Tablespoons seedless raspberry jam

- In a large bowl, whip the Nutella, Biscoff spread, cream cheese, butter and vanilla extract until light and fluffy.

- In another bowl, beat the heavy cream until stiff peaks form.

- Fold the whipped cream into the Nutella/Biscoff mixture.

- Spread the batter into the pie shell.

- In a small bowl, rapidly stir the raspberry jam until smooth. Dollop on the top and swirl decoratively.

- Refrigerate at least 2 hours.

- Enjoy!

apuginthekitchen April 19, 2012 at 9:05 am

What a wonderful pie and so glad your daughter is alright after that very scary incident. Nutella is always in my pantry, have to try to locate biscoff never tried it. Great and very creative recipe!

FoodBabbles April 19, 2012 at 9:55 am

Thanks!! I’m so glad you think so. It worked out to be such a great combination. And Biscoff cookies and the spread are both delectable so definitely find some ;) SO good!

Kristen April 19, 2012 at 9:34 am

I think this pie was a perfect solution to no peanut butter. It sounds so decadent and wonderful.

FoodBabbles April 19, 2012 at 9:55 am

Thanks, Kristen! It really worked out to have such a great flavor.

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust April 19, 2012 at 9:39 am

That sounds SO delicious. What a scary day. I’m so glad she’s okay. Nutella is a great substitute (sometimes even better, I think!) I’d love for you to join my linky, Crazy Sweet Tuesday sometime. (The linky runs through Friday each week.)

FoodBabbles April 19, 2012 at 9:57 am

Ooo! I’m headed over to check out Crazy Sweet Tuesday right now! Thanks for the comment as well as the Linky invite.

Lisa April 19, 2012 at 11:24 am

This is sheer heaven for a nutella, biscoff, raspberry freak like me. I want this pie so bad – seriously. That said, peanut allergies are so terrifying, especially when there are hidden peanut oils in certain foods you don’t expect – but it was peanut butter so you knew instantly. So glad you knew just what to do to before it worsened.

FoodBabbles April 19, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Wow!! What a great comment, Lisa! I’m so glad you liked what I came up with :) I am in love with those three ingredients. And yes, that was a super scary day. Now we have a peanut free house to keep her safe but I really miss peanut butter

chefconnie April 19, 2012 at 11:39 am

I like to eat peanut butter on a spoon! Peanut allergies are scary. I am trying to get peanut products banned at Cal-Wood Education center. I think I may have won the battle recently. Not something I want to mess with. If a kid had a problem they would need to be airlifted out of here.

FoodBabbles April 19, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Wow! That’s so scary, Connie. I’m so glad to hear you’re making headway on advocating for a peanut free place. It’s so important. Isn’t it crazy how common peanut allergies are now?? I never remember it being like this when I was a child.

Anna April 19, 2012 at 12:39 pm

I am so glad that your little one is ok. What a scary experience. This pie is a genius idea though. I love your substitution – yum!

FoodBabbles April 19, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Thanks Anna! The combination was such a happy accident. I love Nutella and I love Biscoff. I’m so glad I married the two :)

Teri @ The Freshman Cook April 19, 2012 at 12:54 pm

I am glad to hear your daughter is ok. I use the Biscoff and Nutella mix sometimes when I want a snack. I take those wheat thin sandwich rounds, spread half with Nutella and half with Biscoff. I love it! It’s the perfect treat! Your pie sounds delicious, and I have put it on my “must make” list.

FoodBabbles April 19, 2012 at 7:31 pm

You’re a genius! I love the idea of a little Nutella Biscoff sandwich. That sounds like such a great little treat. I’m definitely making that next time I want a special little something

Jersey Girl Cooks April 19, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Wow, that must have been scary! Glad Maddy was ok. I think it is even better with the biscoff. That stuff is so good!

FoodBabbles April 19, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Isn’t it, Lisa?? I just discovered the Biscoff spread recently and am a total addict now :)

Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips April 19, 2012 at 8:51 pm

I love Nutella. What a great idea to twist it up with the Biscoff spread so that it could be something for your whole family. I have a wheat allergy, so Biscoff is not the best thing for me – I’d probabaly have to stick with the peanut butter.

FoodBabbles April 19, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Thanks, Brianne! You could also make the pie with only Nutella ;)

annefrommysweetheart April 19, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Wow…first of all…so glad all worked out fine for your daughter. And wise for you to keep clear of peanuts in your house! And the thought of using Nutella in place of the peanuts is brilliant! I LOVE that stuff. This looks like a really awesome pie! : )

FoodBabbles April 20, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Thanks so much. It was a very scary day! And I’m so glad you like my peanut replacement idea. Nutella is seriously addictive stuff.

themessybakerblog April 20, 2012 at 10:53 am

This pie looks amazing. I look at it and want to sing “peanut butter jelly time.” don’t mind me. I have to agree with you that nutella makes everything better. And, I’m currently addicted to biscoff too. My grandmother just made biscoff truffles. Yum! Thanks for sharing.

FoodBabbles April 20, 2012 at 8:06 pm

First, I have to start off my saying your comment cracked me up! I immediately imagined you singing “peanut butter jelly time!” So thanks for the laugh and your comment as well :) And Biscoff truffles sound AMAZING! That sounds like something I need in my life

Cathy April 20, 2012 at 8:43 pm

How innovative! That Biscoff spread has got to be great with Nutella–very nice! :)

FoodBabbles April 20, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Aww! Thanks for such a nice comment :)

lisabethjean April 21, 2012 at 10:25 am

ack! You had me at Nutella!
Raspberries & chocolate are my favorite (insert Buddy the Elf’s voice here)

FoodBabbles April 21, 2012 at 8:51 pm

HA! Buddy the Elf… I could totally hear it! Thanks for the comment. You just gave me a huge smile.

Liz April 22, 2012 at 8:58 am

I’m glad you were there for Maddy when she tried her first pb…how scary! I think I’d like this pie better with Nutella and Biscoff anyway…it looks fabulous! What gorgeous cross hatching with the jelly!!!

FoodBabbles April 22, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Wow! Thanks so much Liz! I’m really glad I was there too. It was so unexpected since there’s no family history. It amazes me how prominent peanut allergies are these days. Scary stuff!

beti April 22, 2012 at 8:30 pm

this is a great recipe! honestly this pie looks delicious

Lesa @Edesia's Notebook April 24, 2012 at 4:49 pm

My youngest is allergic to peanuts too, although not severely like your daughter. Did you consider making the pie with almond butter? We use that a lot in place of peanut butter around here. The pie looks fabulous. So pretty!

FoodBabbles April 25, 2012 at 10:18 am

Thanks so much for your comment! Isn’t a peanut allergy just a terrible thing to have?? Although, no allergy is a good allergy. So sorry for your youngest. I actually have considered using other nut butters, since Maddy is only allergic to peanuts however, I can’t find any that aren’t processed in a plant that also processes peanuts or they all say that they are processed on “shared equipment” with peanuts. Do you know of a brand that doesn’t also deal with peanuts in some way? I would love to find other alternatives. Thanks!

Lesa @Edesia's Notebook April 25, 2012 at 9:44 am

My youngest daughter is allergic to peanuts as well, but not severely like your daughter. I was wondering if you considered using almond butter? We use almond butter in place of peanut butter alot, so I wondered if that would work. Your pie is gorgeous. Nice job!