Not that we’ve even really had much of a winter here in New Jersey, but I’m ready for Spring. I don’t think I’ve even used my winter coat more than once. But even with the mild winter, I’m so ready for warm, sunny days and taking the girls to the park. Now that Molly is a “supported sitter,” once that warm weather does arrive she’ll probably be able to sit in the little baby swings and I’m so excited for that! It’s the little things in life and the thought of taking Maddy and Molly to the park makes me happy so bring on the sunshine!
In the meantime, you can make these muffins if you want to start your day off with a little sunshine. One bite of these makes me think of being on a warm, tropical sandy beach somewhere. It made me want to ship right off to somewhere warm and tropical and it made me a little sad that I couldn’t be that impulsive. Who knew a morning muffin could elicit such emotion? Ha! I love the bits of pineapple, coconut and mango scattered throughout the moist cake. Then the toasted coconut on top makes it complete. Honestly, these muffins taste like lazy sunny days.
Muffin Monday is an initiative by Baker Street. A culinary journey of sharing a wickedly delicious muffin recipe every week. Drop in a quick line to join her on her journey to make the world smile and beat glum Monday mornings week after week.
Tropical Trio Muffins (Coconut, Pineapple & Mango)
Adapted from Gourmet May 2004
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup crushed pineapple, drained
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup sweetened, flaked coconut plus extra for topping
1/4 cup dried mango, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, combine the buttermilk, pineapple, egg, vanilla, and melted butter.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir just until moistened. Fold in the coconut and mango.
- Fill 12 muffin cups 3/4 full and top with a sprinkle of shredded coconut. Bake 20-25 minutes until golden. Cool on a wire rack.