Orange Pound Cake Muffins ~ #MuffinMonday

by FoodBabbles on January 30, 2012

Pound cake is such a wonderfully dense, buttery delight perfect for pairing with just about any type of juicy fruit and a little whipped cream or just eating by itself. This week Anuradha assigned us a lemon pound cake muffin. Yum!! I absolutely love lemon pound cake. The pairing of tart citrus with the cake and perhaps a lemon glaze as well. That’s exactly what the original muffins offer… pound cake, in handheld portions.

I thought I had everything in my kitchen that I needed to make those muffins until I started baking, only to realize… No lemons! However, I had oranges. I love using orange in cakes although I’ve never had an orange pound cake before but I thought “why not?” And it totally works! It’s not as tart as a traditional lemon pound cake might be but I like that. With the addition of orange juice and orange zest you get very smooth, sweet citrus notes and it’s oh so good.

These muffins won’t last long in our house, that’s for sure! So easy to make and even easier to eat. I think they would be fantastic with either a lemon or orange glaze however, sadly I realized I had no confectioners’ sugar either so no glaze for me but you go ahead and add some, it’s gonna be fantastic. I paired mine with a little orange marmalade.

One Year Ago: Spiced Candied Walnuts

Muffin Monday is an initiative by Baker Street. A culinary journey of sharing a wickedly delicious muffin recipe every week. Drop in a quick line to join her on her journey to make the world smile and beat glum Monday mornings week after week.

Print This Recipe Print This Recipe

Orange Pound Cake Muffins Adapted from Taste of Home

1/2 cup of butter, softened

1 cup sugar

2 eggs

1/2 cup sour cream

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice

Zest of 1 large orange

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

– Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line muffin tin with 12 liners.

– In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add in eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition. Add in the sour cream, vanilla extract, orange juice and orange zest.

– In a small bowl, mix together flour, salt and baking soda.

– Add the dry ingredient to the wet ingredients and mix just until moistened.

– Fill muffin cups 3/4 full and bake for 18-20 minutes. Cool in the pan on wire rack for 5 minutes before removing. Cool completely.

– Enjoy!

Anita Menon January 30, 2012 at 12:09 am

These look like the perfect muffins ever! They are gorgeous.

FoodBabbles January 30, 2012 at 10:04 am

Thanks so much Anita!

Let Me Eat Cake January 30, 2012 at 3:28 am

i love baking with orange, well citrus in general! i love how aromatic it is. I bet these orange pound cakes were lovely!

FoodBabbles January 30, 2012 at 10:05 am

I absolutely agree! I love baking with citrus as well. Actually, even cooking also. I think anywhere there’s citrus just adds such bright freshness.

Barbara | Creative Culinary January 30, 2012 at 4:16 am

I could do orange! LIke you I have orange but no lemon and right now think if I don’t go back to sleep soon maybe I should just make some muffins for Monday. :)

FoodBabbles January 30, 2012 at 10:05 am

Ha! Well, I hope you got some sleep and once you’re well rested, muffins are always a good way to start the day. :) Happy Monday, Barb!

Meriem January 30, 2012 at 4:05 pm

These look great, will try to make some myself , thanks for your recipe!

FoodBabbles January 30, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Thanks so much Meriem! Hope you like them!

Jersey Girl Cooks January 31, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Wow, perfect looking muffins. I love orange in baked goods.

FoodBabbles February 2, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Thanks Lisa! Me too!! I loooove all sorts of citrus in baked goods!

FoodBabbles February 2, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Thanks Chinmayie!

Rebekah November 24, 2013 at 9:21 pm

These look delicious! I was wondering, if I wanted to leave out the orange and add fresh cranberries instead, should I replace the OJ with anything to keep proportions correct?

Kate November 25, 2013 at 9:35 pm

I would still add some sort of liquid to replace the OJ. I would add buttermilk :) Hope your cranberry version turns out good! It sounds fantastic.

Rebekah November 25, 2013 at 9:47 pm

Thank you, Kate! I received some fresh cranberries in my CSA box last week. I’ve never used them before and, as they weren’t enough to make cranberry relish for Thanksgiving, I thought these might make a nice morning treat. :)

Kate November 26, 2013 at 2:19 pm

It certainly sounds like it! Come back and tell me how your cranberry version turned out. I’d love to hear about it. I think you’re onto something good.

Rebekah November 27, 2013 at 12:32 am

The reviews are in: cranberries in a pound cake muffin are delicious! I ended up using 2 Tbsps of regular lowfat milk instead of buttermilk because it is what I had on hand. The cranberries are tart, but given the sweetness of the muffin, I think it works. I cut the whole cranberries in half and they got nice and soft in the muffins. I didn’t measure how much of the cranberries I used, but I think you can eyeball it. Thanks so much for the recipe!

Kate November 27, 2013 at 9:18 pm

Whoo hoo!! I’m so glad they were a hit. They sound fantastic. I’m definitely gonna give your version a whirl. I’m on such a cranberry kick lately and this sounds like a great way to use some. Thanks so much for sharing!