This week’s assignment was actually orange date muffins. Sadly, when I read the recipe I did not get all excited. The original muffins called for both dates and walnuts and truthfully, I’m just not fond of either. So if you love dates and walnuts, I’m so sorry to have disappointed you with their removal and feels free to resubstitute my dried cranberries with the original ingredients.
However, I don’t think my variation of these muffins will disappoint! These were one of my favorite muffins yet. The addition of tart cranberries was a great pairing with the orange. There’s a little cinnamon in there too that is oh so nice. These muffins weren’t too sweet, they were just right. They’re moist, light and were perfect with a nice cup of tea.
Orange Cranberry Muffins Adapted from “From A Baker’s Kitchen”
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup orange juice
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 cup whole milk yogurt
1 Tablespoon grated orange zest
1 cup dried cranberries, such as Craisins
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line 12 muffin cups with liners.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In a medium bowl combine the orange juice, melted butter, egg, yogurt and orange zest.
- Add the wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until moistened. Fold in the dried cranberries.
- Evenly divide the batter among 12 muffin cups.
- Bake 15-20 minutes until lightly golden and a tester comes out clean.