Orange Cranberry Muffins ~ Muffin Monday

by FoodBabbles on October 17, 2011

This week’s assignment was actually orange date muffins. Sadly, when I read the recipe I did not get all excited. The original muffins called for both dates and walnuts and truthfully, I’m just not fond of either. So if you love dates and walnuts, I’m so sorry to have disappointed you with their removal and feels free to resubstitute my dried cranberries with the original ingredients.

However, I don’t think my variation of these muffins will disappoint!¬†These were one of my favorite muffins yet. The addition of tart cranberries was a great pairing with the orange. There’s a little cinnamon in there too that is oh so nice. These muffins weren’t too sweet, they were just right. They’re moist, light and were perfect with a nice cup of tea.

Orange Cranberry Muffins ¬†Adapted from “From A Baker’s Kitchen”

2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 cup light brown sugar

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/3 cup orange juice

1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled

1 egg

1 cup whole milk yogurt

1 Tablespoon grated orange zest

1 cup dried cranberries, such as Craisins

– Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line 12 muffin cups with liners.

– In a large bowl combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.

– In a medium bowl combine the orange juice, melted butter, egg, yogurt and orange zest.

– Add the wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until moistened. Fold in the dried cranberries.

– Evenly divide the batter among 12 muffin cups.

– Bake 15-20 minutes until lightly golden and a tester comes out clean.

– Enjoy!

Bianca @ South Bay Rants n Raves October 17, 2011 at 12:15 am

Ah, another cranberry twin! Aren’t they the best? Such a perfect fall pick. Your muffin looks perfect!

Terra October 17, 2011 at 12:17 am

Honestly I like you version better. I am all about flavors that pop, and well dates do not do that:-) Your muffin sounds wonderful! Hugs, Terra

Baker Street October 17, 2011 at 12:49 am

Orange and cranberries is a classic combination! I’m not a big fan of nuts but again if I were to eat every muffin I ever baked.. erm! You know where that is going to lead! heh.

Your muffins look great K! :)

Simone October 17, 2011 at 2:08 am

Looks great and I’m sure will taste great even without dates and walnuts..:)

Let Me Eat Cake October 17, 2011 at 2:42 am

i’m not a big fan of dates either so I def subed those out and I totally agree this was surprisingly one of fave muffins so far!

elena @3greenonions October 17, 2011 at 9:00 am

cranberries sound good to me! I used half dates + half prunes but I’m sure the cranberries added a special something:) great muffin!

Stay-At-Home-Chef October 17, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Oranges and cranberries – it’s a classic combination because it tastes so GREAT! Happy Muffin Monday :)

Aimee White (@Food_Je_tAimee) October 17, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Ahhh… LOVE cranberries and it’s the perfect time of year for this combination! I love dates, but I might give your recipe a try next time. Nice variation!

carolineadobo October 17, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Cranberries pair so well with orange so I’m sure the dates are not missed.The muffins look great!

monikamanchanda October 19, 2011 at 1:19 pm

I think I will try them with cranberry too once… happy myuffin monday :)